English brass candlesticks.

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Johan Bergman, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Johan Bergman

Johan Bergman New Member

Hello!

This is my first post. I am from Sweden, so bear with me if my terminology is sometimes flawed. I have come to believe that these, this odd couple, brass candlesticks in my possession, are English. I am rather more familiar with Swedish brass candlesticks. (Hopefully I can contribute in the future on that subject.) My questions are: What period are they from, if they are genuine? Are they the same period? Was it common for the base to be soldered to the stem? I haven´t seen a single Swedish baroque candlestick where they were not joined by a screw.

DSCF4620.jpg

They are hollow all they way through the stem:

DSCF4622.jpg

The stems are made from two halves, soldered together:

DSCF4623.jpg DSCF4624.jpg DSCF4625.jpg

I would much appreciate your help!

judy, cxgirl and Joshua Brown like this.
  2. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

Are there vertical join lines?

judy and Joshua Brown like this.
  3. Johan Bergman

Johan Bergman New Member

Yes, they are both made from three pieces soldered together. Stems and holder in two halves, and the base as one piece. As are Swedish baroque ones with the exception that bases attach with screws on all the Swedish ones I have seen. I´ve seen many over the years, but of course not all ...

judy, cxgirl and Joshua Brown like this.
  4. rhiwfield

Ok, I am not an expert. But the vertical seam.lines may indicate an early date.

Ladybranch and cxgirl like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I suspect Georgian. You can buy those here for silly money, which upsets me, rather.

judy likes this.
  6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Johan:) I love your candlesticks!
    bear does that mean they sell for a high amount?

judy likes this.
  7. rhiwfield

Not sure what Bear will say but no, they sell for very little money.

cxgirl likes this.
  8. Johan Bergman

Johan Bergman New Member

So, they're fairly common. That makes sense. I found tham at a flea market. So, silly money would be - 50 pound sterling for this odd couple? Even sillier?

judy likes this.
  9. rhiwfield

Sillier :(

Odd couple, I think these may have had ejectors.

judy and cxgirl like this.
  10. Johan Bergman

Johan Bergman New Member

Oh ... so they're later. How could I tell if they had ejectors or not.

11. Ownedbybear

Yes, sillier, these can be twenty quid, or even less, which is insane given the age and quality. I don't think it's quantity, so much as being out of style. I really like old Georgian brass sticks.

cxgirl likes this.
  12. Johan Bergman

Johan Bergman New Member

Where would you put them, agewise?

judy likes this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Hm. Late 18th into early 19th?

14. Johan Bergman

Johan Bergman New Member

Aha! I thought they where older, because of the seamed stem. Well, then I kind of understand why they would be less valued. We have a similar situation pricewise in Sweden. Good for people like me. I like buying rather than selling. My wallet scolds me. I dont care.

Jivvy, BoudiccaJones, judy and 2 others like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

Even the early ones can be bought silly cheap. Those are always tricky to date, though. I'm with you, I buy far too much. ;) And oh, the damaged things simply because they're history. I've an 18th C pickle dish, badly damaged, but I love it.

Melissa Brown, judy and Johan Bergman like this.
  16. Rod

Rod New Member

Hi Johan, Your candlesticks are English and date to 1715 - 1730. They never had push rods. Prices can vary wildly. Sellers often do not know what they have, and can go for next to nothing. pairs in good condition can go for hundreds. I saw a pair very much like your stick on the right sell recently on ebay for $265 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wonderful-...d-SEAMED-BRASS-CANDLESTICKS-1715/202652517109 The market is very flexible for this class of candlestick. Desirability of design and condition make huge differences. They often are worn through on spots,especially the seams, by years of polishing.
    If I can ever get my act together I will send you a photo of a stick that may be Scandinavian. could use a good opinion. Rod

Jivvy, i need help and judy like this.
  17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Hi Rod.........
    Johan has not been seen here since June 4th 2017......
    You're talking to a ghost...:zombie:
    BUT...
    I like the new info you bring to the table......:)

tip..
    check the bottom left hand of the post to see when it was posted...& you'll know if it's current....or you're on an old thread..!! ;):wideyed::wideyed:

Jivvy and i need help like this.