English Ironstone

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Josh, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

English ironstone marked 1859 T M&S. I cannot identify this maker. I have found makers with T&M and M&S, but not with the initials on this piece. Measures 8 3/4" wide qand is 4" tall. Mt first thought was compote or sweetmeat tray, but the indented ring in the center ( 3 1/2" wide) makes me wonder if there is something missing. Thanks

DSCF9416 - Copy.JPG DSCF9417 - Copy.JPG DSCF9418 - Copy.JPG DSCF9419 - Copy.JPG

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I can't find those maker initials either. But I doubt that the 1859 was the date made, but more likely the year in which the pottery company came into existence.

The design is blue transferware and from others I have seen or own, I believe we're looking at a design from the 1880's -ish. JMHO.

Can you make out anything at all from the arch above the garter?

3. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

It appears to be a crown above

Bakersgma likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Thomas Morris, I suspect, crown looks right. The &S is probably for & Sons.

Bakersgma likes this.
  5. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

Thanks I will start looking at Thomas Morris.

Draft saved Draft deleted