Featured English lantern clock

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Lynnie, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Lynnie

Lynnie Active Member

This was part of a box lot. The key was included and it keeps surprisingly good time! It was made by Smiths English Clocks, Great Britain lanternclock2.jpg .

LIbraryLady, Figtree3, judy and 10 others like this.
  2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

LOVE it!!!

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

LUUUUVE IT !!!!!!

judy likes this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I find it interesting that the space between each numeral is marked off into 4 segments rather than 5. It permitted them to center those little decorative arrows, but a hindrance if you want to know the time to the minute. Does it make quite a racket of ticking?

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

N I I I C E!!!!

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The dial design copies that of the original 17th C. weight driven clocks with verge escapements where time keeping to the minute was just impossible. The earlier clocks had just one hand and the marks were for quarter hours, as near as they could reasonably get to accuracy. My avatar picture is of an 18th C lantern clock dial.

The Smiths clocks date from the 1950s, they are smaller than the originals and have a spring driven movement with a platform lever escapement that would be no noisier than a carriage clock.
    They are fairly common in Britain and of reasonably good quality but do not fetch much money. They were available in at least three sizes.

7. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Think that model is called the "Nell Gwynne" and was made from 1950-1979 although towards 1979 I think they were either mains or quartz as the mechanical version was dropped.
    Cheers
    Stephen

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I could take you to exactly where that was made. I know people who worked there. Smths has a fascinating history: aviation was huge in London with many hundreds of factories. They made aircraft instruments.

9. Miscstuff

They also made clocks with brushed velour dials in several colours. Think their designers were smoking the "good stuff" in the thirties.:rolleyes:
    clocks.jpg

pearlsnblume and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. silverthwait

Good Heavens! I should think so! That red one looks like an overripe watermelon. (Was that what they were aiming for??)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. Miscstuff

Yep. Streaky brushed velour in glaring colours. I guess this was the end of the art deco period (1939) and they wanted to stand out in the crowd.
    Cheers
    Stephen

Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  12. Lynnie

Lynnie Active Member

This clock measures only 7" tall. It ticks VERY quietly--you really have to put your ear next to it it hear it at all.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  13. silverthwait

Lynnie - I had a cat like that! The only way to hear him purr was to have an ear on his body! If he were draped across me, I could feel him vibrate - but hear him? No way.

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted