English? Sterling spoon, unknown marks?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by spartcom5, Jul 16, 2019.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Found a spoon today and it looks quite old. The marks look like English with the lion but the other mark looks like a Thistle? It doesn't make any since to me... and no date letter? What is going on here?
    20190716_174307_resized.jpg 20190716_174311_resized.jpg 20190716_161526_resized.jpg 20190716_174324_resized.jpg

2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I agree that appears to be the Edinburgh thistle on the right, but also wonder why the lion is there too? Having both on the same thing is redundant.

4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The design looks like early 19th. C. American in shape, I suspect it is coin silver with the pseudo marks imitating British marks to reassure the customers .
    If it was found in the USA this would be evidence for this theory.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, it is probably not Scottish made, but random British-looking marks.
    The thistle mark I know from the late 18th-early 19th century has a shield shaped cartouche, with a triangular bottom part.

cxgirl and DragonflyWink like this.
  6. spartcom5

Hmm well I posted it on 925 forums. Hopefully an expert there weighs in on it. Interesting theory on using British Mark's on us coin silver. I could see that as a possibility.

cxgirl and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. spartcom5

PortableTreasures and cxgirl like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Are you sure? It looks like a different GS mark to me.:(

9. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

If you go to the end of the pics, there is an image of this mark taken from Langdon. Savage used a few different marks, some can be seen on both the Canadian and American sections of 925-1000 (note described as primarily a retailer in silver): https://www.925-1000.com/canadiansilver_02.html

https://www.925-1000.com/americansilver_S.html

The marks are clearly not correct for Scotland or England, and British pseudo-marks were used on silver from several countries, often British colonies - but AF is spot on on its appearance, though would have guessed this one as Canadian rather than American partially because of the thistle, but also because American coin Fiddles tended toward rounded shoulders rather than those square shoulders (more English in origin)...

~Cheryl

Any Jewelry, Bakersgma and cxgirl like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted