English Victorian? Writing desk

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Brywil1970, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Brywil1970

Brywil1970 Well-Known Member

This piece came from an auction in Yorkshire at least 20 years ago. Was wondering if you can tell me age and if hardware is correct. Also what would be the correct name for this.

296AEAE2-C181-4012-A6EE-3ED749699B6D.jpeg

81577FC1-6B1E-4A17-AB07-953E3B8F50F6.jpeg

62DEBDE0-B799-40DC-B9B7-4D72289F0BC0.jpeg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

We'll definitely need more and better pictures, but the hardware looks to be late 19th century.

James Conrad and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Brywil1970

Brywil1970 Well-Known Member

Yeah lighting in house was horrible!!

James Conrad likes this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

It looks like yours might be something along these lines, from what I can see, although yours appears to have drawers in front:

Early 19th century slant top, table top desk. No bottom stand. Same ...
    Pinterest

Early 19th century slant top, table top desk. No bottom stand. Same grey color, original paint. For sale by Deborah Adam, New Jersey.......
    [​IMG]

They come from very simple to very nice, drawers to no drawers, many had no bases but sat on a table top.....like a paymaster's desk.....Pinterest has a whole bunch showing.......happy hunting.....others can fill you in more, I'm sure!!
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/93379392248033533/

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

If it never had any legs it could be a writing slope. What is the size?

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The glass knobs sitting on top of it don't belong with it, do they?

i need help and James Conrad like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They don't look it, but it is a bit confusing.

8. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Agrees with all above, this form was made both with/without a stand in America from late 17th century onward, not sure about England. Pics are very poor as others noted but, I'll guess 2nd half 19th century based on pull & lid hinges.
    This form is highly collectible in USA and can get pricey in a hurry if early, again, dunno about England.

9. James Conrad

In USA, correct term is a Desk Box, some had stands, some didn't.

10. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

? Bible box. Can’t really see the piece properly from the pictures.
    ~ C6BAFE65-C9A8-41E3-9407-0A1AFA882450.jpeg

11. James Conrad

Don't think "bible" box which is a victorian term because the lid is sloped which indicates a desk form.

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

With the drawers, it would be for cash. Cashier drawers and someone has stripped it, too. Handles look original, 19th C. Looks to be of the type used for paying out wages.

13. Houseful

There are many dealers here in U.K. that refer to these as bible boxes.
    Some are earlier than Victorian too.

14. Houseful

All of these are referred to as bible boxes, 17th, 18th century. F6D55AB8-2CDE-4EB6-80F4-DFAC4BE56D84.jpeg F1967C62-3DA0-4A50-AA66-D411968D2EC9.jpeg 0080100E-1805-4D8D-90F5-472E172FE8A1.jpeg
    ~

15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd certainly agree with those being bible boxes. The idea was that the slanted lid acted as a reading rest.

i need help, judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  16. James Conrad

Yes, ditto here in America as well, the problem is in late 17th early 18th century America small wood boxes are probably the most numerous furniture form in existence and, books were hideously expensive at that time here. Very few people could afford books of any kind. These boxes almost certainly did not contain bibles then in USA. It is thought that the term "bible" box came into existence in the victorian era in the 19th century, a very religious age and the name "stuck" for many if not all earlier boxes.
    Although it is still not known exactly what these earlier boxes in america were used for, the latest research suggest these early boxes were used as boxes to store ones personal items. This seems the most likely use to me as well because it was very common here to have 2 or 3 generations all living together in a single room house with very little privacy.
    As for slant lid boxes, they were almost certainly used in america as a desk box, naturally in England, it could very well be different.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  17. James Conrad

Here is an American late 17th century desk box, oak & pine with some condition issues, estimate was 4-6k, sold for 20k couple years ago at Skinner.
    Hinges and lock catch replaced, missing lock, wear to corners and edges, old surface
    https://m.skinnerinc.com/m/auctions/2897M/lots/31

bluegreen-painted-and-carved-desk-box.jpg

18. Houseful

Lovely box, $20k seems a lot to pay though.
    I would suppose though that some of the earliest books were bibles as the Churches had the money and the bibles would probably be put in a box to protect them.
    I think OBB is probably right about the OPs item being for cash due to the drawers. It would be good to see how far the drawers go back.

19. James Conrad

Yes, it is a bunch, no doubt, early american wood boxes are HIGHLY collectible here. They cross many categories of collectors, jewelry people, silver people, furniture people, etc. it seems they ALL want one of these boxes and competition for them at auction is very strong

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    i need help and Ghopper1924 like this.
  20. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

"Although it is still not known exactly what these earlier boxes in america were used for, the latest research suggest these early boxes were used as boxes to store ones personal items. This seems the most likely use to me as well because it was very common here to have 2 or 3 generations all living together in a single room house with very little privacy.
    As for slant lid boxes, they were almost certainly used in america as a desk box, naturally in England, it could very well be different."

A good "Occam's Razor"-type of explanation. Thanks for that!

Draft saved Draft deleted