English Wooden Cigar Box?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Silver Wolf, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

hello this box was belong to my box collections,i think this was used as cigar box,but i don't know its age and maybe this is from england?anyone can help?thank you

20181206-045-3.jpg 20181206-047-3.jpg 20181206-048-3.jpg 20181206-049-3.jpg 20181206-050-3.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I did some quick internet research for you. Good guess that yours was a cigar box. "Claro" means light in Spanish and is a type of tobacco. Parforce is the brand and it was manufactured by Elbaco. I assume that's a German company because of the use of "DR PATENT" on the lid which stands for "Deutsches Reichspatent" or "German Patent." According to the internet, DRP was used from 1877 until 1945. Given that, I would think your box dates to sometime between World War I and World War II.

Sure others more knowledgable about the tobacciana category will have more to add. In the meantime, here's another example of Parforce packaging; note that it also uses a hunting theme as "par force" is a hunting term.

Debora

1PARFORCE.jpg

Silver Wolf, Fid, i need help and 3 others like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

On further thought... I think Elbaco, the cigar manufacturer, was Spanish. The patent would cover the image which was likely German. (The paper example above was printed by Hermann Shott of Germany.)

Debora

Silver Wolf and i need help like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Ah, here's another Elbaco brand, Hubertus, which also has a hunting theme.

Debora

Vintage-Belle-Et-Ancienne-Boite-A-Cigares.jpg

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

And I was wrong... Elbaco was located in Bünde, Westphalia according to the packaging on this box which also has a hunting theme.

Debora

Bunde Westfalen.jpg

7. Silver Wolf

thank you so much debora for your help! i think i'm agree with the date,i was told it was made around 1910-1930s,so do you think this is spanish cigar box with german image?

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

No, a German cigar brand with an image printed in Germany.

Debora

9. Silver Wolf

okay,thank you!

Draft saved Draft deleted