Epiag Czechoslovakia 6528 tableware

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Nicole Milles, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Nicole Milles

Nicole Milles New Member

Hi, I'm really curious about sis porcelain that I've inherited. I know it's very old and was handed down from a great great great aunt but I would really love to know the history of it. Anyone has any insight I would be so grateful! Also, you do know nobody is buying porcelain these days, is it worth anything? I have 12 full place settings with all the serving dishes. Thanks!
    0708191452(1).jpg 0708191455.jpg 0708191451.jpg 0708191450.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Hi, Nicole, and welcome!

I'm not sure what you consider "very old", but your pretty dinner service is probably getting close to antique, although it isn't quite there yet.

The sovereign state of CZECHOSLOVAKIA did not even exist until 1918.

Also, EPIAG was not a company, per se, but rather an association of potteries, called Erste Böhemische Porzellan Industrie AG - the First Bohemian Porcelain Industry. There's a bit of history about it here:
    https://www.worthpoint.com/articles/blog-entry/its-all-in-marks-oepiag-epiag-mean

In addition, the EPIAG mark was not used until 1920, so this is the very earliest that your GGG-aunt might have purchased or received this set. Do you have any idea of when the latest she might have had it might be?

It will take some research to find the exact pattern* and (hopefully!) discover exactly when it was introduced.

It certainly is a very pretty pattern, but you should know that china sets don't demand anywhere near the prices they once did.

* The REPLACEMENTS site has only a B&W photocopy shown for this pattern, with no additional info about it.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Jaena, kentworld, Bakersgma and 7 others like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Do most of the larger pieces have this stamp?
    upload_2019-7-10_21-27-12.png

I'm thinking it might be the pattern number and year.

4. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

You're right about the pattern number, Cluttered. It's 6528.

As for the other numbers being the year, I don't have a clue! (and I'm not even sure I'm reading those two numbers right - does it look like 57 to you?)

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

Yes that is what I saw.
    So guess that would be too late to be marked Czechoslovakia - or would it?
    The square platters have a more modern look to them.

SBSVC likes this.
  6. Nicole Milles

Nicole Milles New Member

Yes, its 6528, and 57. There is also a darker printed V. And a 51

Christmasjoy, judy and SBSVC like this.
  7. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Nope, CZECHOSLOVAKIA would still be okay thru 1992.

The question - for Nicole here - is when is the LATEST her GGG-aunt could have owned this? If, for instance, she passed away in 1940 or something, it couldn't be 1957 & still have been hers...

8. clutteredcloset49

Agreed

Christmasjoy, judy and SBSVC like this.
  9. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Just checking around, I came across some info that MIGHT indicate that the "arm" mark shown on this set belonged to SPRINGER & CO, one of the members of the EPIAG association. Possibly would narrow the manufacturing date to 1920-45, according to some of the sites I saw.

Here's where I first saw it:
    https://www.robbinsnest.com/china/epiag/epi6524.html

This page seems to have lots of questions/answers about Epiag, altho I haven't read them all. It's where I saw the 1920-1945 dates. Maybe it will give some helpful info:
    https://www.myantiquefurniturecollection.com/epiag-china-35673.html

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

good stuff. the arm is of course not an arm :) but is the mark of the village Elbogen ( = elbow) near Karlsbad, today Loket. the company was a branch of a Viennese company (Eugen und Rudolf Haidinger), went on to being sold and ended up as part of OEPIAG in 1918 and then EPIAG in 1922. I'm rather sure if the set was after 1938 it would be marked otherwise.:vomit:

11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome, @Nicole Milles -- It looks like the date range is being narrowed down. If you could answer the question of when your ggg aunt passed away that could also help.

SBSVC likes this.
  12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

"A day late and a dollar short"......I know!!!!

ZZZZZZ 0708191452(1).jpg

13. Nicole Milles

Nicole Milles New Member

So, if you know what this is please tell me

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's not what Aquitaine meant by ' i know '
    she was just posting a good pic of the mark for others to see clearly...

You still haven't answered ....."question of when your ggg aunt passed away"
    as that may help us pin down a date....

family stories are not always spot on....but can be a place to start...

If you're selling....I'd break the set....nice set.... in two ...as a 6 place maybe be easier to sell.......or even an 8 & 4 .

judy likes this.
  15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The last full set of china I sold was in 2005. It had 12 place settings and 15 serving pieces. It was made in 1887. It sold for the princely amount of 50 dollars.:rolleyes:. It went to Turkey. The two women who bought it were delighted with it but not as happy as I was to sell it.
    greg

Aquitaine, komokwa and janetpjohn like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted