Epiag Plate Czechoslovakia w Budapest Hungary Mark. Can you read?? Thanks

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kaudet, Feb 15, 2019.

1. kaudet

kaudet Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

Know that many of you have great research and backstamp deciphering talents so hope you can solve this one. The blank is made by Epiag in Czechoslovakia. It has another mark below with the mention of Budapest that I cannot read. Have figured out the last line says Vorosmarty Square (Vorosmarty ter). Can you read the line above this? Was wondering if it could be the name of a hotel or restaurant in that square. Did find some demitasses in this pattern the Budapest Obudai Muzeum (museum) site. The backstamp on these is a little different from that on my plate. Something like Hüttl Tivadar Budapest Hungary.

Any help is much appreciated.
    TIA
    Kathy

budapest plate epiag czech.jpg Epiag Czechoslovakia Hüttl Tivadar Budapest Hungary Cobalt Rim Gold Plate february 15 2019 008.JPG

2. kaudet

kaudet Well-Known Member

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

From your very good link, looks to me like like Epiag is the maker & Huttl just the merchant who carried the line. Maybe a street address: Ban 65 Mimalik.? Looks like Mimalik is an abbreviation. Full word may be related to Mameluke. (Street of the Muslims, something that way.)

Christmasjoy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

EPIAG was a joint venture of different Bohemian porcelain factories.
    Erste Böhmische Porzellanindustrie A.G. (appr. 1889 - 1918)
    the crest of the arm with sword is a reminence of a factory that was from Elbogen (elbow), today Loket in Czechia.

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It was sold by or made for the firm Hüttl, Ban és (and) Minalik, address Vörösmarty Tér 1 in Budapest. Hüttl, Ban and Minalik are all Hungarian surnames, Hüttl is probably of Austrian origin. That's the Austro-Hungarian empire for you.

Vörösmarty Tér is an elegant square in Budapest (Pest side of the Danube), and the location of the famous coffeehouse Gerbeaud, home of the best pastry in the world.:greedy::playful:
    Maybe Hüttl, Ban és Minalik was also a coffeehouse, restaurant or hotel, or maybe it was a posh porcelain etc shop. I would guess the latter.

To get an idea of the setting, Café Gerbeaud:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. ALittleBit

ALittleBit ALittleBit

To get an idea of the setting, Café Gerbeaud:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty sure that anything / everything would taste good in such a setting <sigh>

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

When I was there we used to sit outside, on the terrace. We were a student group and Gerbeaud's was our lunchtime meeting place. I am lactose intolerant, so the creamy cakes were for the others. Caviar on toast was cheap in communist Hungary, so no complaints from me.:D

dgbjwc and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted