Featured Eprouvez Heraldic Seal Fob

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Barn Owl, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I've been searching for a bloodstone watch fob for a while now, and couldn't help but splurge on this fob when it came up at auction. The bezel is pinchbeck, I think, but the carving appears to be of very fine quality. I've done some searches, but I haven't been able to find the coat of arms. I was hoping the design of the fob might be appear to offer an idea of its age, or that the coat of arms might be familiar to one of you. I'd love to hear what you think!

Edit: It may say Eprouves or Eprouvez. Not sure which. Can't tell if there is an accent mark. Under a loupe, the creature on the top has two horns and a beard, like some sort of dragon/beast.

Edit 2: I found this plate with a similar dragon figure and Eprouvez, that the seller dates to the 1700s: https://picclick.com/Chinese-Export-Porcelain-Armorial-Plate-Coat-of-Arms-382056572328.html

s-l1600 (3).jpg [​IMG] s-l1600 (4).jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  2. Barn Owl

After further searching, I found an article mentioning the Wynyard family crest, which apparently features a heraldic antelope and the motto Eprouvez. But I can't find a picture of their crest online.

Here is another resource I found about the Wynyard family:

The name of Wynyard appears to have existed from an early period, at least in
    the West of England. In the pedigree of the Drewes of Devonshire, we find that
    " Robert French of Horneford, Devon, married Matilda, daughter and heir of
    Rob^ Wynyard of Harcomb, in the same county ;" and possibly the Wynard Alms-
    houses at Exeter may have been founded by a member of the same family. There
    is a spot called Wynyard's Gap at Cheddington, in the county of Dorset, and it will
    be remembered also that Lord Londonderry's seat in the county of Durham bears
    this name.

The word Wiii-eard, or Win-gear d is the Anglo-Saxon parent of our English
    Vineyard; and seems to have been not an uncommon patronymic in Holland —
    many books, for example, having been published at Leyden in the seventeenth
    century, ex officind Adriani Wyngaerden. The name may, therefore, have been of
    Anglo-Saxon, local, or continental derivation.

In King James's ' Discourse of Powder-Treason,' (Works, 1616,) he says : " And
    enquiring of Whyneard, Keeper of the Wardrobe, to what use hee had put those
    lower roumes, & cellars," &c. p. 228 ; and again, p. 230, "it was thought meet that
    upon pretence of Whyneard' s missing some of the King's stuffe, or hangings," &c.

There seems no reason to doubt that this man was the ancestor of the family of
    which we treat, viz. : John Wynyard, who was Groom of the Wardrobe to Queen
    Elizabeth, etc. ; and who died soon after the discovery of the plot, Jan. 20, 1606.
    In all probability, too, he would be the John Wynyard of London, gent., son and
    heir of Geo. Wynyard, gent., to whom arms were granted 2nd Jan., 1579, viz. :
    Paly of six argent and sable on a chief gules a lion passant argent. Crest : On a
    wreath'of the colours, a mount vert thereon a tiger sejant ermine. Motto : Eprouvez.

A pedigree is in existence compiled by some professional pedigree-manufacturer,
    and based in apparent error on a certain almanack and memorandum book, which had
    been in the possession of some member of the family ; but originally seems to have
    belonged to " Henry Rimborne," to whom and to whose family the entries probably
    refer. Whoever was its possessor, it appears that he was the Yeoman Usher of the
    Black Rod, whose fees he records, and also that the Coronation jewels and robes
    were entrusted to his charge, April 23, 1661. He speaks of "Brother Wenham,"
    thus connecting him with John Wynyard, who mentions " Cousin John Wenham,"
    in 1686, as stated below.

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

What does it say, if anything, below Eprouvez?

upload_2019-10-31_17-24-6.png

anundverkaufen, komokwa, KSW and 2 others like this.
  4. Barn Owl

I can't make it out even with my loupe. I only have white sealing wax, which doesn't show the letters well. The top part looked like "unia" or "lunia" but I can't tell.

komokwa, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  5. alex webb

alex webb Well-Known Member

6. Barn Owl

Thank you so much!

komokwa likes this.
  7. Ewan

Ewan New Member

Barn Owl, the arms are for Wynyard, as your initial search turned up.

The armorial plate, that you found pictures of, is Wynyard impaling St Leger, from the marriage of Colonel William Wynyard to Kitty St Leger in 1758. It was their marital china.

anundverkaufen, Barn Owl and Bronwen like this.
  8. Barn Owl

Thank you so much, Ewan! Are you knowledgeable about coat of arms? I purchased another antique coat of arms seal recently that I've been meaning to post about.

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Ewan

Ewan New Member

PM me and I can tell you more about this particular family. It's more the Wynyards that I know about, rather than heraldry in general.

Bronwen and Barn Owl like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted