Erté Serigraph 1982 Adam and Eve?

Discussion in 'Art' started by jakes vintage, Aug 21, 2014.

1. jakes vintage

jakes vintage Well-Known Member

I was hoping someone could take a look at this and let me know your thoughts. It's sealed in the frame so not sure if I should pull it out or not?[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I thought the fig leaves did not appear till after the apple had been eaten. Failure of artistic nerve there.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  3. jakes vintage

Ok, I broke down and took it out to reveal this? The gallery is still up and going. Do you guys think reputable print or just a framed postcard ?
    [​IMG]

4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Are the dimensions of your piece the same as what it says in the back for the original silkscreen?

Um, nevermind. It does look like the back is the back of a postcard, so that's probably what this is.

5. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Nice frame job, though. That would've cost a penny or two.

6. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

"Af said: "I thought the fig leaves did not appear till after the apple had been eaten. Failure of artistic nerve there."

It looks to me like all of the apples (including the ones still on the tree) have been nibbled at -- or are there apples which are goldish-brown on top and red on the bottom?

"Nibbling" may have brought the fig leaves into play, so to speak.

7. yourturntoloveit

And that "lady" looks far from virginal to me. :wideyed:

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  8. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

It does, indeed, look like all the apples are half eaten.

9. yourturntoloveit

Another way to word it -- "Somebody has climbed that tree before."

Messilane and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  10. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Still,that looks like a nice ,lithographed postcard,and its beautifully framed and quite the style statement of its own ! I think its FABULOUS. Id have jumped on it with both feet !

jakes vintage likes this.
  11. jakes vintage

Thanks Johnny, I couldn't pass it up for 2$ I don't know the protocol on postcards but it's not like the ones that come to mind when the word is mentioned. It's more like a lobby card but I am in no way an expert hence why I am here asking...

12. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Im pea green with envy over the price ! Is it 11x16 ? That does seem large for a "card".

13. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Most postcards are a fairly uniform size. But "art" cards sometimes deviate from the standard. Just out of curiousity, if you look at the print through a loupe or magnifying lens, do you see small, regular dots?

The matting/framing really is nicely done.

14. jakes vintage

I don't know if this helps but these are retaken at 3 magnification. ? The gold doesn't appear to have the dots but the other colors do?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. jakes vintage

No its 9 X 5 on the outside I didn't measure when it was opened up

16. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Ah, the dots mean it was printed using offset printing (photolithography), which is standard for most postcards these days. I was thinking since it was framed so niely, it was possible that it was printed using a more refined technique.

It's still a nice decorating item!

17. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Is the artist's signature on the back printed or hand written? If done by hand the owner might have asked the artist to autograph the card. That could be why they framed it.

18. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

I'm with AF. That IS his sig. If he signed it there would surely be some value there.

19. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I agree that it's his signature, but we don't know yet if it's printed rather than handwritten.

20. jakes vintage

I'm pretty sure it's printed, but just for giggles I'll pull it out again this evening when I get home from work and magnify it.

Pat P likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted