Estate ques --should I go back for bakelite (??) piece

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lucille.b, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I'm not exactly new to collecting jewelry but this one stumped me.

I'm going to have to describe. No photos.

There was a bangle style bracelet at today's estate sale they were calling bakelite and asking $20. After 45 years of collecting vintage jewelry I know bakelite and what the big sellers are, this didn't really fit into that category. I've never quite seen anything like it which made me think possibly it was not U.S. made. It was a clear amber color (definitely some kind of plastic) may have been bakelite or maybe celluloid. Looked to be 1930's at the latest. No carving or anything. I didn't do the rub test because even if it was bakelite I wasn't sure it had good resale as prices have kind of dropped in recent years. Would only be interested in this for resale, not personal use, but curious if anyone has ever seen similar. This sale was not well advertised and it might even be there tomorrow for 1/2 price.

Small metal clasp. It had this ODD feature: The clasp only allowed the bracelet to be opened a small amount, not really enough to get over the wrist. There was a little geometric section as the main feature, and this sort of came apart with little rods holding the pieces together, and as these separated they were held by a stretchy string. I'm not sure I was doing it right, but seemed like the only way to get it on the wrist (and I have a small wrist) was to pull apart that feature and then sort of put it back together. Also thought: stretchy piece breaks and this no longer works.

Just the one (amber-ish) color no carving, geometric pieces that come apart held by metal rods. Just curious if anyone has ever seen a bangle bracelet like this. I'm already thinking I'm going back for 1/2 price day. Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That sounds...odd. Bakelite does come that color, it sounds like apple juice, and I've seen some singularly weird clasps on vintage jewelry. For ten bucks it might be worth a gamble.

Lucille.b, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Did they have stretchy string in the 1930-40s?

Lucille.b and judy like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Sure did; it goes back to the Victorian era.

Lucille.b, judy and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Sounds interesting Lucille, and like a 'construction' you could see in the Art Deco period. But it is difficult to say anything about it without seeing it. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've seen old bangles with those separation clasps, but not in bakelite. I'd risk it for ten.

8. Lucille.b

Well... back from the sale. Got there right as it opened and (luckily) everything I was interested in was still there! So got the bracelet (and necklace in same material). No pictures today. Still milking everything I can get out of my b-day. At least through the weekend, lol --so taking a pause from photographing/Ebay, etc. Will check back in Monday or Tuesday with photographs. :happy:

judy, i need help, Figtree3 and 4 others like this.
  9. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see it!

10. Lucille.b

Will post tomorrow (Tues). Stay tuned... :)

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Yahh....like we're going anywhere ...!! :hilarious::hilarious:

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Lucille.b

I'm going to start a new post ("Estate Bakelite bracelet and necklace") and will include photos of the necklace that I wound up getting as well. They really look like companion pieces. Curious what folks will think/say about this set. Should have the new post up in a few minutes. Thanks.

komokwa and clutteredcloset49 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted