Featured ESTATE SALE FIND: 1803 HALF DOLLAR + 1847 DOLLAR - HOW DO I TELL CONDITION/GRADE?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Aug 24, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I got these 2 old coins at a garage sale Sunday. When you think people who used the 1803 half dollar may have fought in the revolutionary war - pretty cool!
    Can anyone tell me what grade or condition they are in? (I know it's just a guess seeing them in a photo instead of in person but at least I would have an idea!)
    Thank you!

MONEY COIN 1805 HALF DOLLAR DRAPED BUST 1AAAAZZZ.JPG MONEY COIN 1805 HALF DOLLAR DRAPED BUST 2AAZZ.JPG MONEY COIN 1847 DOLLAR SEATED LIBERTY 1AAZZZ.JPG MONEY COIN 1847 DOLLAR SEATED LIBERTY 2AAAZZ.JPG

Bronwen, cxgirl and judy like this.
  2. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Those are both reproductions. Sorry.

dude, Bronwen, cxgirl and 4 others like this.
  3. journeymagazine

And you can tell that how?

Bronwen, cxgirl and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

These are really poor reproductions/fakes, especially the 1803. Does not look anywhere near what they should. Mushy and lacking of the level of details that legit examples should have. The 1847 is a bit more deceptive but not much, also lacking of some detail and the rims of the coin are off. Both these series of coins are highly faked since they would be worth big money if legit. They are not 90% silver like they should be and are cast instead of struck. These are found at flea markets and Chinese online sellers everywhere, they have saturated the market.

dude, Bronwen, cxgirl and 5 others like this.
  5. journeymagazine

Your right - I looked them up & they should weigh around 28 grams & fakes only weigh around 20 grams; mine weigh 18 & 20 grams...aaaggghhh!!
    Thanks Joe2007 - I'm going to go back tomorrow (with my electronic scale) and ask for my money back or a couple of the Morgans he had!

dude, Bronwen, cxgirl and 3 others like this.
  6. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I would be extremely cautious of ANY coins this seller has for sale. Morgan Dollars, especially Carson City or "CC" Morgans are also heavily counterfeited. Some counterfeits can weight fairly close to specified weights for legit coins so it isn't a perfect measure to detect fakes. I've seen enough fakes I can usually tell buy just looking at them but there are "better" fakes out there made of real silver and meant to fool the pros that would fool me too.

dude, Bronwen, cxgirl and 4 others like this.
  7. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Look at them,real coins are die struck.The coins in your photos appear to have been cast with what looks like casting porosity and air bubbles.

dude, bluumz, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

U wanna trade back to him his fakes...for other coins he has?????
    REALLY ???
    Did U not learn a lesson here ??

Stick to your paintings !!!

Tanya, Bronwen, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  9. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Always wise to take a rare earth magnet with you when buying silver coins.

I bought a huge collection from a guy 4 weeks ago.
    The US part of the collection had 4 silver dollars all lined up in trays, the first a Peace Dollar was genuine the other three were fake, I knew just by looking at them.
    The guy was genuinely innocent, he paid £40 each for them years ago and thought they were real.
    I gave him a demonstration of a how a RE magnet works on real silver coins.

The 3 fakes were magnetic so no demonstration was required..

He gave them to me for free so he would not be accused of selling fakes.

They now reside in my fake coin box, for educational purposes.

20200825_102304.jpg

20200825_102514.jpg

10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

what happens?

Bronwen likes this.
  11. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Nothing. Silver & Gold are not magnetic. Cast fakes usually are.

cxgirl likes this.
  12. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks Joe2007:)

13. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

The local coin shop down the street from me has one of these. Pretty cool!
    https://sigmametalytics.com/

If an item is outside of the normal tolerances, it is usually fake. There are some more expensive models that will spit out a printout of the exact metal composition, although thicker bars may pose issues since they can be "filled" and these tools can only penetrate a certain thickness of metal.

Let us know how it goes @journeymagazine

It is likely your seller knew exactly what they were selling. Flea markets provide ripe ground for such scammers since they can disappear without a trace after unloading their merchandise.

14. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

@cxgirl
    What happens is if you have a genuine silver coin, 90% silver US 92.5% silver UK or any other silver coins, you hold the coin on a flat surface at an angle and slide a rare earth magnet down it.
    If real silver it will slide down real slow, if copper nickel it will slide off quickly, if steel or iron it will stick to it.
    There are many demos on Youtube

dude, aaroncab, James Conrad and 4 others like this.
  15. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

cool, thanks Dave:)

daveydempsey and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted