Featured ESTATE SALE FIND - CUBAN MASTER ARTIST RENE PORTOCARRERO PAINTING?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, May 30, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

This is suppose to be a painting by Cuban artist Rene Portocarrero. I found it today with a couple of other cool & unusual pieces at a estate sale in Coral gables today. (See the unusual child rescue basket(?) I posted in antiques forum that no one yet is sure what it's for).
    The seller was the grandson of the owner of all the stuff being sold. He had 3 Cuban master artist' pieces - he told me that 2 were lithographs and this one he said was an original painting.
    Is there any way to find out if this is in deed a painting without opening the painting to feel the texture?
    I looked up some of his works and his lithos were either signed in pencil in the margin or signed & then had the print run number + what number that print was (like a limited edition work).
    Any help would be appreciated - I paid $350 for it and a regular customer to my estate sales who is also a Cuban art collector (he spent $640 yesterday on 2 Cuban paintings I already had!) has already agreed to buy it on Monday for $750!
    Obviously I want to keep this customer happy, AND the seller gave me his card with his phone & address and told me I was welcome to come see personal stuff anytime - so I didn't get the impression he was trying to "Hit & Get".
    Again, thank you for any help.

ART PAINTING CUBAN ARTIST PORTOCARRERO  RENE 1AAXX.jpg ART PAINTING CUBAN ARTIST PORTOCARRERO  RENE 2AAZZZ.jpg ART PAINTING CUBAN ARTIST PORTOCARRERO  RENE 3AAZZXXZ.jpg ART PAINTING CUBAN ARTIST PORTOCARRERO  RENE 4AA.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Is it behind glass? What are the dimensions? This with similar subject -- figure in profile -- is 20" x 29" mixed media on heavy paper.

3462_1.jpg

PortableTreasures and ulilwitch like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

This is entitled 'Flora con paloma" of 'Flora with Dove.' Appears to be same subject as yours.

Debora

3115_1.jpg

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Apparenty, he did many, many versions of that subject. If I were you, I'd do a Google Images search of your work to help eliminate the possibility that it's a multiple.

Deobra

aaroncab likes this.
  5. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

If that's an original work by him your getting ripped off for that price if you sell it for that. Just my opinion.

judy and Houseful like this.
  6. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

It’s looking good to me as an original painting from what I can see. I agree with Rink, these go for tens of thousands if not more.

judy likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Do you have a source to support that?

Debora

8. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

judy likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Thanks but... those really aren't comparables. They're oil on canvas. The OPs work is gouache on paper. It seems artist returned to the Flora or Woman in Profile theme over and over in his late career and there are many on the market. I see asking retail prices for $1,500-$2,500ish which would make a wholesale price of $750 not unreasonable.

Debora

10. journeymagazine

Guess I'm going to have to take it somewhere & have someone take it out of the frame to be sure!
    It measures (just the white paper/canvas) 23.5" x 17.5"

judy likes this.
  11. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

There were some gouache ones on liveaucrioneers that were bringing 2,000 sane size too.

judy likes this.
  12. journeymagazine

Debora are these paintings or lithos/prints?

13. journeymagazine

Here are some that sold on invaluable - #16 down "Flora" looks most like mine & had a pre auction estimate of 3,000 - 5,000 pounds (English money)- wonder why they got so much for his works at Christie's? (well...it is Christie's!)

judy likes this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Most of those I saw on internet were identified as gouache on paper. This one on etsy is identified as a silkscreen. There is a group in Madrid that maintains a catalogue raisonné and issues COAs for yours and a few other Cuban artists. Don't know how bona fide they are. (Their address is a business center but they say they collaborate with Christie's among others.) You'll have to run this through Google Translate.

https://fundacionartecubano.org/servicios/

Debora

15. journeymagazine

Thank you
    Thanks all

16. journeymagazine

This one resembles mine & had a auction estimate of $800 - $1,600 - why such a big difference from the ones that sold on Christie's for $30,000 - $80,000?
    Should I sell it for $750 - is it a fair price?
    Should I send pics to Christie's to see if they'd accept mine for auction (in all the times I've sent requests to accept something I found they've only accepted 1 - a old Swiss travel poster (I don't think they like a providence of "Estate sale find")
    I'd hate to give away a good painting by a major artist - because I go through a lot of bad factory paintings before I come across one like this!
    Similar one: https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/26833558_rene-portocarrero-cuban-1912-1986

judy likes this.
  17. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Take the money and run. Not bad for a quick return on investment and without the need to incur shipping expenses or auction fees, etc.

18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The medium can effect pricing. When the artist produced the work (in what creative period) can effect pricing. Provenance can effect pricing. It appears you have a minor painting by an important Cuban artist done late in his career and one of many he did of the same subject but less ornate than some. There are lots of examples on internet. If you're uncomfortable with price you can do a bit of research to find a wider variety of auction estimates. A good place to start is here. But do be sure and limit your search to versions of your paintings. Otherwise, you'll be comparing apples to oranges.

https://www.invaluable.com/artist/portocarrero-rene-p36klkw1lu/sold-at-auction-prices/

Debora

19. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted