Estate sale find. Has anyone ever seen this mark on china?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ulilwitch, Mar 6, 2019.

1. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

I can't find this mark. Maybe it is supposed to read crown import. I don't know. import china.jpg2.jpg import china.jpg

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

No
    But might be 1950s-60s Bavarian, Czech or Japan import

Do you have a magnifying glass? I see letters under the crown. The crown was used to cover the maker. The Crown represents the Importer.

upload_2019-3-6_9-52-4.png

3. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Oh, good one, Pat. It's a Zeh Scherzer, Bavaria, Germany mark, sideways under there. But we all know the maker of the blank doesn't matter, and I know nothing about this crown mark.

4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I'm pulling this out of my unreliable memory but I thought the crown mark was used for a specific reason - namely to hide the identity of the country of origin. There was some resistance from customers who did not want to buy items from countries with whom we were recently at war.
    Don

5. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I think that's logical, since there's no company name with the crown. If it were a decorating company, it seems they would want credit.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  6. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

Thank everyone for the help.

Draft saved Draft deleted