Featured ESTATE SALE FIND - LARGE CHINESE TREE POT PAINT OVER BRASS?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by journeymagazine, Sep 30, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I won this at a online estate sale auction - $9! (I think because it looked a lot smaller in the photos in auction) - it looks like it's painted over what looks like brass?
    Is this clossine (probably not spelling it right!)?
    Any idea of it's age?
    What does the marking on bottom say?
    It measures 19"W x 16"H
    I'm hoping this is a nice piece - it came out of a beautiful condo on Brickell Ave (downtown Miami), so fingers crossed!
    Thank you for any info.
    PS - Bottom photos taken outside shows brass? underneath shining. Also, if you move your hand or finger across it's side you can feel the different thickness of the painted flowers, designs

POTTERY CHINESE TREE POT CLOISENNIE 7AA.JPG POTTERY CHINESE TREE POT CLOISENNIE 7AAA.JPG POTTERY CHINESE TREE POT CLOISENNIE 7AAAA.JPG POTTERY CHINESE TREE POT CLOISENNIE 5AA.JPG POTTERY CHINESE TREE POT CLOISENNIE 6AA.JPG POTTERY CHINESE TREE POT CLOISENNIE 7CAAA.JPG POTTERY CHINESE TREE POT CLOISENNIE 1AA.JPG POTTERY CHINESE TREE POT CLOISENNIE 2AA.JPG POTTERY CHINESE TREE POT CLOISENNIE 2BAA.JPG

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Ceramic imo, and the "brass" is enamelled gilding. Not cloisonne. It's a fish/carp bowl.

3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Agree with Bear. If you Ebay search "Chinese planter fish bowl", you can get a sense of what is out there.

My guess is that this is 1980s or later, it is a nice one though, and definitely the jumbo size. A little bit of problem with that discoloration inside the bowl, but the exterior has a pretty pattern and look, I think you did well for your $9.

4. Ownedbybear

So do I, even modern ones would not be cheap.

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I Love the fish done on the inside!!!!! And the bowl is lovely too!:happy::happy::happy::happy::happy:

i need help likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

9 bucks is a steal......selling it will be different..

i need help likes this.
  7. komokwa

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Selling it might be a bit of a bear, but for $9 that's stealing.

i need help likes this.
  9. Lucille.b

I'd go for a local sale. I know Journey does the occasional yard sale, or maybe put it up on Craigslist as a planter. See if you can get a bit of the hard water marks out, but not a deal breaker if to be used as a planter, which is probably what the former owner did. It is an especially decorative one and would look great in many gardens.

These occasionally show up at my thrift (smaller, maybe 12-14" and not nearly as nicely decorated as this one) and usually the thrift puts them at $24.99. They never last more than a day or two.

So assuming no chips, there will likely be a nice profit on this piece.

i need help and komokwa like this.
  10. journeymagazine

11. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

It's lovely, but it's hard to call it a "planter" when there is no drainage hole(s) in the bottom. No drainage = root rot = dead plant.

kyratango, i need help and Lucille.b like this.
  12. Lucille.b

I think people use them by putting a 2nd pot inside. Guessing that is what the former owner did based on the hard water marks inside.

i need help and Bakersgma like this.
  13. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

You're probably right, Lucille. But then there is the dilemma of not being able to see how much water has pooled up at the bottom (and may be still flooding the roots in the "inside pot." Believe me, I've had it happen and have learned to be more careful.

kyratango, i need help and Lucille.b like this.
  14. komokwa

I have 2 plants , both in planters with no drainage....
    one is growing so fast , it'll need it's own room soon...
    the other grows slowly...but it's 29 years old..,!

i need help likes this.
  15. Ownedbybear

I use cache pots without holes all the time. BUT, I remove the plants to water them. Unless they're tropical ones, which like damp feet.

Bakersgma and kyratango like this.
  16. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

VERY NICE FIND!:woot: Too well decorated to be very modern, I think somewhere around 1920/1930:rolleyes:

17. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I agree ā€” Iā€™m thinking first 3rd of 20th c.

kyratango likes this.
  18. journeymagazine

That's a big difference; any way to tell it's actual age?

19. komokwa

ya, get that mark pinned down.....well kinda.....but not exactly ..
    upload_2019-10-2_0-44-15.jpeg
    while this suggests the 1970's.....

another close mark states..... The use of black and orange rust colored enamels is very typical of the very last years of the 1940s. Date: Mid 20th century. .

So 50's to the 70's....would be my best guess.

you guys and yer Gotheborg.....my eyes are all blurry now...:inpain::rolleyes::playful::playful::playful::playful:

aaroncab likes this.
  20. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I tend to agree with Komo on this one - early 2nd half of 20th. I've seen even newer pieces with decoration very similar to this and just as well done.

kyratango and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted