Etching Engraving Mistery

Discussion in 'Art' started by Hunter S., May 19, 2020.

1. Hunter S.

Hunter S. Active Member

First of all I hope that all of you are safe&sound and that this crisis will pass as soon as possible :angelic::angelic::angelic:

I got a hold of this beautiful small ink etching/engraving of three silhouettes of couples dancing. I find it almost mesmerizing and it somehow reminds me of one of my most favorite comic of all time Dylan Dog (some of the artist had quite a similar style)...so it is an understatement when I say that I just love it!

However, I have no clue about it...except that is 19th out of a 100 copies...

I hope that someone will be able to give me some more info...

Regards to all of you good people,

Hunter S.

Small etching-engraving silhouettes of couples 1.jpg Small etching-engraving silhouettes of couples 2.jpg Small etching-engraving silhouettes of couples 3.jpg Small etching-engraving silhouettes of couples 4.jpg

Houseful likes this.
  2. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

- -kofebo ‘87?
    I can’t figure the first two letters, I’ve tried Enkofebo but can’t get anything. It might help if someone here knows what language this is.
    I like the etching too:)

Christmasjoy and Hunter S. like this.
  3. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

I see ErikaFebo
    It also says it's some type of aquatint

Christmasjoy and Hunter S. like this.
  4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Hunter S. likes this.
  5. Hunter S.

Hunter S. Active Member

Thanks a lot you guys!!! I agree on the aquatint. However the name is still a puzzle as I cannot find any reference, but I will continue the quest and hopefully find out more.

All the best,

Hunter S.

6. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

The artists name is Bogdan Jovana Kršić who was a Serbian artist.
    bakropis/akvatinta just means etching / aquatint
    As for the title of the piece, it might be 'Griko Pabo' Greek Pub, although that is admittedly a complete guess based on what I can see and what translates from the Croatian language. People do dance in some venues.

7. Hunter S.

Hunter S. Active Member

Thanks so much CPW just tell me how do you know it is Bogdan Jovana Kršić as the signature doesn't look like his.
    All the best

8. Couch Potato Wannabe

That's not a signature, it's the title of the piece. He does many works like this style and in this same medium.

Houseful and Hunter S. like this.
  9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

as long as it's not by Novak Đoković...
    why is the scribble not in Serbian cyrilic ?

10. Hunter S.

Hunter S. Active Member

Thanks so much for additional explanation CPW!!!

11. Couch Potato Wannabe

It's Croatian.

Hunter S. likes this.
  12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

which part of the bottom line should read something similar to the name proposed by you ?

13. Couch Potato Wannabe

If you mean the title of the piece I suggested, bottom right, as per the close-up photo Hunter S. first provided. I did say it was just a guess, as the writing is notably hard to read.

If, however, you mean the artists name, I don't see a signature anywhere, Bogdan made many pieces without signing them, many with a full signature and many with just initials such as a BK (except with the K flipped in reverse to face the B).

My statement of who the artist 'is' perhaps should better be stated as 'could be'. If you wish to point out there could be copy cat artists around, which their could indeed. Although, the language, style, medium and layout all match to Bogdan's works, which is what brought his name to my mind.

14. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

so it's a simple guess without any proof. I could guess with the same right that it's by Lieschen Müller of Wanne-Eickel when she was pregnant with her fifth child.

the problem is that many people asking here have the intention of reselling it and may be led astray when listing it with a complete Humbug description.

15. Couch Potato Wannabe

You know what..... you are correct... I absolutely should have worded myself better in the early stages and let others know of any gaps of certainty in my declarations.

So, who is Lieschen Müller of Wanne-Eickel? what kind of artist are they? can you show me some links of their work for comparison?

komokwa likes this.
  16. Hunter S.

Hunter S. Active Member

Hey guys...May I suggest something & analyze btw?...I think both of you are right...but just think of it like this...it is great to always show initiative and help with everything you can/think you can...because even if you are wrong the community will intervene and help you and the person with the request will eventually get the right answer + they will learn based of these chats like yours...because there are valid points on both sides...so even if you are wrong it doesn't necessary mean you are doing something wrong + you cannot always be right...so by all means discuss about everything as it is quite interesting and useful...at least for me :) even discussing how to discuss antiques :) :cool:

Now HUG!:cat::cat::cat:

P.S. I have no plans on selling this beauty btw...I just love it...I also always inquire about the items I tend to keep and I would just like to know more about (just for the statistics:droid:)

17. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I’m not good with technical stuff, but have you tried an image search?

Hunter S. likes this.
  18. Couch Potato Wannabe

hehe. It is all good, I do see the validity in the point that I was a little too certain sounding in my statement and it could indeed give the wrong impression, though, it wasn't my attention.

bluumz, komokwa and Hunter S. like this.
  19. Couch Potato Wannabe

I don't know about the original poster, but I certainly did, on Google Images, Tineye, Dupli Checker and smallseotools, I did not find a match.

Hunter S. and i need help like this.
  20. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

Thanks to @Hunter S. and @Couch Potato Wannabe I've discovered the Balkanian school of etching which is indeed impressive and there are many works in this particular style. I've visited Bosnia once but didn't know they had such great graphic art examples, so it was interesting to see them online. So what we know for sure is that this ethching must be either 1.Serbian or 2. Croatian or 3. Bosnian?

i need help and Hunter S. like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted