Etching I found

Discussion in 'Art' started by hobi12, Oct 15, 2017.

1. hobi12

hobi12 New Member

Sorry it's been a while at the same time I posted the other paintings from my grandparents I came across this etching I have tried to research and found an identical one with slight differences it was sold at auction but couldn't find any further details any help would be fantastic thank you

The first picture I have cleaned up a bit to seebit better the 2nd one is the condition it's in

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/...0055/lot-a19b0151-b1d0-47a3-a2d4-a457007a90ae

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board.
    Not sure what it is you would like to know. You seem to have found the artist. Did you research him?

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Wouid you Full Image those please? :)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. hobi12

hobi12 New Member

Hi thank you so far I have tried to research the artist but can't find anything about them the auction was back in 2013 but can't seem to get the price of the etchings do you think it's worth very getting valued

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

"After" W. Edington means that the auction house thought that it was in Edington's style but were not willing to attribute it to that artist. However, it certainly appears to be signed with that name.

I am not a conservator so don't know whether that staining can be removed. I suspect that it can. I don't know whether it's worth paying for an appraisal or not. If you could get a free opinion from an auction house, that might be best.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  6. architrave

architrave Well-Known Member

Sometimes auction houses describe a signed etching as "after" the artist concerned for no good reason. I don't know why, it's just plain wrong. I have found mention of a few other etchings of old houses said to be by "W Edington". However, I can find no other trace of the artist, and I'm not at all sure that the auctioneers have read the name right.

("After" should mean that it is copied from a specific work by that artist, not merely in their style.)

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. hobi12

hobi12 New Member

Thank you all for your help
    I will get it appraised for pure curiosity once done I will post the results here
    Thank you again

Draft saved Draft deleted