Etching Of Johann Strauss House

Discussion in 'Art' started by kardinalisimo, Apr 5, 2015.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

The last name looks like Goering.

Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  3. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

Perhaps Henry Goering (1871-1944), there seems to be slight variations in his signature.

KingofThings and kardinalisimo like this.
  4. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Thank you.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. fidbald

fidbald Well-Known Member

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Google translation of "Artwork Info" from Fid's great find:

"The summer home of Johann Strauss in Salmannsdorf 1920 watercolor on paper on cardboard 35.5 x 27.5 cm (Mat-up) Signed lower right: E. Graner Verso titled: The Johann Strauss - cottage in Salmannsdorf Vienna XVIII. (Sic.!) Provenance: Private Collection Vienna Literature: Cf .: Austrian 19th century art. Catalogue of the Austrian Gallery Belvedere, Volume 2, Vienna 1993, p 93 Max Morold, A walk through Alt-Wien 17 paintings by Ernst Graner, in: The faithful Eckart, p 933 ff."

KingofThings likes this.
  7. fidbald

:arghh: sorry, forgot once more where I am. we should make a Kraut Funding for a machine wherebye stupid fid is warned every time he uses German :singing:

8. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Nah . . . it helps keep our brains nimble.
    We (at least I) like you just the way you are.

9. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Learning another language is good brain work; keep sending us the "kraut" links, Fid!

KingofThings likes this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I like the guys handwriting....whom ever it is !

KingofThings likes this.
  11. Ladybranch

Ditto!

I can usually work my way through the Romance languages of French, Spanish, and Italian, but German and the northern tier of Western European languages are another story. That seems strange because English is a Germanic language and stranger still English and German are in the **same** subgroup of Germanic languages - West Germanic. Needless to say the Slavic, etc... languages of Eastern Europe are a complete lost to me.

--- Susan

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    KingofThings and kentworld like this.
  12. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

I did not say this was by Hermann Goering the Nazi military leader. It is by HENRY GOERING, the artist. A Google search will come up with many of his etchings and the variations in the signature.

KingofThings likes this.
  13. fidbald

nobody said you did so. and yes it may be by Henry Goering going by the style. but I've not seen a capital H like that before.
    furthermore you can also google Johann Strauss Sommerhaus and find other artists that have done that exact view.

KingofThings likes this.
  14. Ladybranch

I think you are probably right on the signature as to being Henry Goering (1871-1944). Following is a link to painting by Henry Goering of the home of Brahms.

"Painting of Henry Goering
    Title: The home of composer Brahms
    (The Home of Composer Brahms)
    Henry Goering (German 1871-1944)
    Framed and recorded work.
    Title: The home of composer Brahms.
    Signed in pencil lower right with title."

At the bottom is a line of Brahms' music. To the right of the music is writing with a Henry Goering sig. (H. Goering) that is similar to the one on this picture.

http://bikespainclassic.blogspot.com/2010/06/henry-goering-el-hogar-del-compositor.html

Have included a zoomed in pic of the sig.

Here are 2 more music related etchings by Henry Goering with music bars below:
    Schubert
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/217789221/henry-goering-illustration-with-schubert?ref=market
    Beethoven:
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/217973730/henry-goering-illustration-with?ref=market

--- Susan

Goering-combo.jpg

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    KingofThings likes this.
  15. fidbald

I'm still not sure if this Henry Goering is not a guy who took the etchings from someone else and simply added the music-bars.
    it's also a curio that stuff is signed "Nachlass H.Goering"which would mean he was dead and gone when these were produced.
    Nachlass = inheritance

KingofThings and Figtree3 like this.
  16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It appears from minimal information I found that Henry Goering was born in Bremen, Germany in 1871 but came to the U.S. at some point. He is listed as an American artist on one site, and I just found a listing for him in Polk's Wisconsin State Gazetteer and Business Directory of 1913:

https://books.google.com/books?id=50ZEAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA709&lpg=PA709&dq=henry+goering+artist&source=bl&ots=R0wvmyP6vy&sig=ElnOvPTxs_NAkFkQoUuk83PlXJE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ShUpVe-8HMi2sAXs14GYBQ&ved=0CFwQ6AEwDQ#v=onepage&q=henry goering artist&f=false

He also appears in a directory of Wisconsin artists on the website of MOWA, the Museum of Wisconsin Artists. They do not have any data entered into his entry, though: http://www.wisconsinart.org/archives/artist/henry-goering/profile-1365.aspx

I clicked on some tabs in my second link above and found a list of printed sources that have information about him.
    http://www.wisconsinart.org/archives/artist/henry-goering/library-1365.aspx

KingofThings likes this.
  17. grohs-R

grohs-R New Member

Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
  18. grohs-R

grohs-R New Member

You can also find more here for "Nichlass H. Czoernig" or "Herta" or "H"...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Herta Czoernig Goban etching framed art Mozart music&_itemId=370535585431

All her life, Herta Czoernig roamed through the city of Vienna and the surrounding countryside with her sketch pad, crayon and set of color pencils capturing the picturesque streets, homes and scenery. She is generally considered to have been the last "topographical" artist in Vienna.

Born in Klagenfurt, she wanted to become an artist from the time she was a young girl. Women were not accepted as students at the Graphic Academy of Vienna in those days so she attended the Art School for Women and later studied in Weimar, Germany. In Vienna, Professor Ludwig Michalek taught her the difficult medium of etching. The large number of etchings she later created are today sought by lovers of the medium as well as lovers of Vienna.

Herta Czoernig's artistry received recognition principally after World War II, through her etchings of the homes of musicians and composers in Vienna. Each of these has a vignette containing a few bars of music relating to the scene.

In addition to the growing public interest in her work, she was recognized by the Historical Documentation Center of the Austrian National Library because many of her etchings were the only surviving documents of streets and houses in Vienna destroyed during the war. Today many of her works are in the archives of the National Library.

Her greatest honor came shortly before her death. The Albertina Museum in Vienna, home of one of the world's greatest collections of graphics, commissioned Herta Czoernig to make a plate featuring the Albertina itself. She died soon after completing this etching, her life's ambition fulfilled.

KingofThings likes this.
  19. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I like it especially with the music. :)

20. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Doing Google searches, it looks like the same prints are being attributed to both Herta Czoernig and Goering.

Obviously they're not both the artist, so here's another example of misinformation being spread rapidly in the wonderful world of the internet! :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 22, 2015
    Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted