Eternity ring setting

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Jun 21, 2019.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Does this style of setting tell me anything about this ring?
    It tests as gold, even my 14+ k acid leaves it unmarked, (although I didn’t file a notch in it as I didn’t want to damage it) . No stamps anywhere. Is it possible it’s unmarked gold or more likely looking at gold plate?.
    I wondered if the style of the setting would tell me anything?
    It arrived on a necklace I bought from a charity shop. Chain was clearly not gold but this I don’t know.
    If the setting is a reasonable guide of how well the stones are set I’ll get it checked by a Jeweller and hope they don’t hack a hole in it!
    I know it’s almost impossible to know from a photo but I’d be glad to hear any thoughts.
    Thankyou :)
    9C19E3CA-D9C1-47EA-8013-3CE7B555BC8E.jpeg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It may well be gold, but the stones are probably CZ. I've a couple of little eternity rings - one bought new in the early 80s - which aren't hallmarked as the gold content is small. It looks 1970s ish. Not high value, but decent enough.

3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I'll go with that for 99p!
    Don't know what the stones are. Goes up a couple of notches on my cheapy tester but not diamonds.
    Is there a name for setting stones in a channel like that and is it mainly only a 70s/80s sort of thing?

4. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

It's called Channel Set. :cat:

No idea on earliest dating, but still popular.

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I wear them as stack rings with my wedding ring.

Jivvy and KSW like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That setting goes back to at least the 60s. Good find for 99p. ;) Might be white topaz.

KSW likes this.
  7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

CZs make me crazy! They can test all over the place on gem testers. I have had them test from glass through topaz. That is why I can not just go by the gem tester results, I have to check what the stone looks like. And if I ma not sure I head for a good jeweler!

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I've only got a cheapy diamond tester and it has its wild moment when it overheats and everything is a diamond!. I use it as a guide as it's spot on with known diamonds but don't trust it with unknown and have a little bag of 'maybe diamonds' to be tested when I find a pet jeweller who won't charge me more than the piece is worth. I've looked at gem testers and it looks like several stones give the same reading so not sure if I'd be any better off. I'm not sure if other stones test as positive for diamond?. I must have some stamped CZ rings floating about, I must test them to see what reading I get. Every time I think I'll upgrade I look at the reviews and wonder if they are all the same spec being sold at wildly different prices.

9. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I think the problem with CZs is there are some high quality and some not so much. This one I had that tested as topaz was an older high quality CZ. Those are garnets and it was set in 14k white gold.

Peg14kGarnetCZRingBoxCrop.jpg

Nothing but diamonds should test as diamonds! But it is only a starting point, gem testers can't grade stones and can't tell if the stone is natural, treated or man made.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted