Ethiopian black Pot with Rawhide casing ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by GreenEyedGal, Sep 27, 2017.

1. GreenEyedGal

GreenEyedGal Well-Known Member

I picked this up at a yard sale and tucked inside was a piece of paper that said Ethiopia 1970...Does any one have a clue as to what this might be? Thanks All :) I can only these to come in an attachment form I am so sorry ALL!

Attached Files:

2. GreenEyedGal

I meant to say, I can only get them to come up in attachment form OOPS!

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

upload_2017-9-27_17-36-22.jpeg

It is very much the style of the Horn of Africa, which includes Ethiopia. These are traditional, but still being made.
    Not really pottery, the shiny part is probably thickly lacquered (resin or pitch) plant fibre.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    yourturntoloveit likes this.
  4. GreenEyedGal

Do you know what it's for ??? The inside is ash like ? I am so history hungry at this point in my life Haha!!

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  5. GreenEyedGal

And thank you so very very much for posting it for me I truly appreciate it!!!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Pleasure GEG. How are you feeling today?
    It is a storage vessel for food.

yourturntoloveit and komokwa like this.
  7. GreenEyedGal

I am better thank you!! It's only 250.00 to fix the screen on my phone And btw you did not startle me into dropping my phone I did it myself night befor... I believe I am going to downgrade phones , as Apple told me yesterday I can't downsize my photos unless I use a third party application.. I have enjoyed meeting you all and learning and if I can't post pics , without it being a pain , I would rather have a smaller machine ☺️ And a food storage vessel how fascinating !!! Thank you so very much!!!!

yourturntoloveit and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted