Featured Ethnic (Afghan?) silver pendant with bell dangles

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Jun 18, 2022.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Purchase from a table of modern costume at the antiques fair, the seller said she didn’t know anything about it.
    Google keeps throwing up Afghan search results but mainly with longer chains on the dangles.
    Any ideas please as to where it comes from or if it’s interesting or just a tourist souvenir?
    There is some black stuff inside it presumably to keep it solid, it tests as silver but not convincingly sterling so maybe low grade.
    The rings have been worn thin on the dangles so it’s been well worn.
    Also the rings attaching the dangles are interesting as they are knotted not soldered or just plain rings.
    There was no chain on it and it was black with dirt.
    Any ideas please?
    @Any Jewelry or @evelyb30 this may be right up your street.
    Thanks for looking :)
    91A01D98-D0AA-4621-8C9B-C54C08C0B632.jpeg B503C49A-D25C-4D28-BB51-12B1A302F21E.jpeg 5AC433C2-9D5C-40EC-A589-595FF19F5FAF.jpeg EB98619E-11DA-4ED8-A066-58A4B78EA804.jpeg EF2F6429-11E8-43D8-A706-D6B5BE09DAB8.jpeg 4F527CA0-D560-4B7C-9AEA-F1AAC0AAB56D.jpeg 9A65F8AF-43D2-4951-A476-677991930988.jpeg 622D2055-0C92-442D-B031-4D6F44B00FEF.jpeg BDF33857-31E5-42A2-9284-A848F3BDF5A7.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Oooo gorgeous!:woot::woot: 'Arrow' protective pendant from NW India, probably Rajasthan. Traditional, not necessarily made as souvenir. Locals still wear them (as do I:D).
    Always love those knotted rings, I have them too on some pendants and necklaces.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
  3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou :kiss:

4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Using the Rajasthan search term has given me much more success! I see some similar shape ones described as ‘Tiger claw’ and as amulets not pendants, is that correct?.
    Is it possible to date it?
    The knotted rings are intriguing!
    Thankyou :)

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

KS-Beautiful piece,but stellar photos.How might i ask did you get those laser-sharp closeups ? My phone's just a google cheapie,my wife's is more like one of those i-phone quality jobs.

6. Any Jewelry

They are amulets, because of their protective properties. I have never heard or seen them called ‘Tiger claw’, but there are always regional differences in terminology. Even the name 'arrow' is just a name. It is thought that as an arrow they can protect, which is why they serve as amulets. A tiger claw is also protective.

One of mine is a small antique kohl container btw. Kohl has a link with the spiritual, so a protective arrow is appropriate.

bercrystal, kyratango and KSW like this.
  7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Would they always have lids? Just wondering as this has black stuff in it :confused:
    If you have any photos I’d love to see. No hurry though as you’ve been busy :)

bercrystal, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

If it has black stuff in it, it's a kohl container. (Yay!!!:happy:)
    There is a fruit salad with my name on it, but I'll see if I can take pics of my little Rajasthani arrow baby after I've finished.:hungry:

9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou!
    I have a 2 year old iPhone 11 which has an ok camera on it but the game changer is the app Camera +2.
    It has a brilliant macro setting that is fantastic for close ups like the bells above and on the auto setting is great for slightly larger pieces. It has a much better depth of field than just the phone camera so less shadow.
    very occasionally I still need to take a photo through a loupe too but it’s not often.
    That app and a (very) cheap light box from Amazon works well for me. The app cost £3-4 a few years ago and the light box about a tenner. Only thing I’d change is maybe have a light box with options as to where the light comes from and also with a hole in the top.
    You might need a new phone ;):) 8886D421-7E83-4A24-99C5-257B0A46AAC8.jpeg

bercrystal and kyratango like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

My kohl container arrow pendant, it is much smaller than yours:

upload_2022-6-18_19-16-43.jpeg

Traces of kohl inside:

upload_2022-6-18_19-17-2.jpeg

11. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Fab, Thankyou x

bercrystal, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Those dangles remind me of nautch bells.

bercrystal and KSW like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

All small Asian bell dangles are roughly the same, with minor differences. They originally had the same purpose too, warding off evil.

bercrystal and KSW like this.
  14. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Good photo knowledge

KSW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted