Featured Ethnic Belts (1 niello, 1 silver-tone)

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Barn Owl, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I picked up these lovely belts over the last couple weeks. One is niello, hallmarked on the back--I found a similar one described online as being Albanian. Unfortunately, I can't make out the hallmark because I lost my loupe. I don't think the leather is original to it, since there are fake Thaler buttons on the leather.

The other belt is a mystery to me. It has a strange closure, and doesn't really remain closed that well; I suppose it would be different when worn. It's very short, and seems only long enough for a teenage or preteen girl. Tests negative for silver. Stones appear to be glass.

thumbnail (2).jpg thumbnail (3).jpg thumbnail.jpg thumbnail (1).jpg

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    wenna, KSW, Any Jewelry and 4 others like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Short usually meand old. Not sure the other one is Niello, it looks like that other blackening technique and I've forgotten the damn name.

KSW, judy, Barn Owl and 1 other person like this.
  3. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

4. Barn Owl

Oops, I meant Armenian, not Albanian. That's the one I found.
    I can't get a good photo of the marks because I don't have my loupe. I'll try to find it and post better photos. There's one mark on each side. I'm not sure if they're the 84 zolotnik mark. Doesn't look big enough to be the full Russian mark.

Thank you for those other finds. I didn't see those when I searched.

KSW, Any Jewelry, judy and 1 other person like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The first one is probably Middle East, but could have been made in India for the Middle Eastern market. Base metal and glass, but a very nice example.
    The second one is Caucasian niello, as Cheryl said. Could be Armenian, Armenia is also in the Caucasus, and produces niello as well. It is gorgeous.:)
    Looking forward to the marks.
    Or worn in a country were women are more petite than you are used to.;) How long is it?
    These bling belts are still worn by brides who don't have traditional dowry jewellery and don't have a big budget for their outfit. City girls for instance, who just want to look the part for their wedding, but have no use for traditional jewellery otherwise.
    I won't tell the Armenians.:playful:

6. Barn Owl

Thanks, AJ! The glass and base metal one is 30 inches total length, but only fits about a 24 inch waist. I really like the grape leaf design on it. I thought it was Greek for that reason, but ME makes sense.

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

I had a smaller waist when I was in my early 20s. I have no idea where it went though, if anyone finds it they can contact me here.:playful:

kyratango and Barn Owl like this.
  8. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Haha, I was thinking exactly the same thing! Those were the days...

kyratango, Any Jewelry and Barn Owl like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

In those days my brother could put his hands around my waist with the fingers of both hands touching. He would need much bigger hands now.:hilarious:

kyratango and wenna like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I can't even do that to my cats.

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Small hands or big cats?:cat:

Draft saved Draft deleted