Etrog Box age?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Laura Ivermee, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Laura Ivermee

Laura Ivermee New Member

IMG_20210611_165008b.jpg IMG_20210611_165049b.jpg IMG_20210611_164848b.jpg Hi. I'm looking for some help please.
    I have this 'thing' !!! It's exceptionally pretty.
    Does anyone know what it is? I have been told it is an Etrog box. Can anyone confirm this, or give me any idea of a rough era, thank you so much. There are no markings, definitely silver plated.
    It's quite old. Would like to put it up for sale, but need more info re age etc first.
    Thankee kindly x

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2021
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

It’s definitely an etrog box.

What makes you think it is quite old? The style has changed very little in a community that values the traditional, many newly produced etrog boxes would look similar. It’s an item that is used yearly (for generations, if it’s old) and carried to and from synagogue. I would expect to see more wear if it was old.

Laura Ivermee and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

komokwa likes this.
  4. Laura Ivermee

Laura Ivermee New Member

Thank you so much. I only believe it's old as it is what I was told, I have no info on it at all unfortunately, so all you tell me is a huge help, thank you so much

5. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

It’s pretty.

If you plan to sell I would suggest listing it a few weeks before September 20th. That’s when sukkot (the holiday this is used on) falls out in 2021 and there is always lots of bidding on these boxes.

GL!

komokwa and Laura Ivermee like this.
  6. Laura Ivermee

Laura Ivermee New Member

Thank you, that is really helpful :)