Ever Heard of "BELLE CLAIRE WARE" Cast Iron Skillet?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by LoveTheHunt!, Jan 25, 2020.

1. LoveTheHunt!

LoveTheHunt! Well-Known Member

I found a nice little stack of cast iron at an estate yesterday. Not sure whether this piece might be the most - or least - valuable...
    This is a 6" frying pan (actually 5-3/4" across the fire ring), in need of a proper cleaning & seasoning (which my wife does very well).
    I diligently searched and searched eBay, Google and others, looking at images and descriptions, and can find absolutely nothing of cast iron from any company named "Belle Claire Ware", "BelleClaire Ware", "BelleClaireWare", or any such like. Nor can I find a "Bellevile" (sic) ILL, though there is a "Belleville" in St. Clair County, IL.
    Has anyone ever seen or heard of such a company?
    The lady of the house lived to be 100 years old, 75 years in that same house. No telling how old this skillet is, but certainly not new!
    I know there are collectors of such items - might something "obscure" like this be of any special interest to them?
    Cast_Iron-Skillet-Belle_Claire_Ware-6_inch-mks.jpg
    Cast_Iron-Skillet-Belle_Claire_Ware-6_inch-btm.jpg
    Cast_Iron-Skillet-Belle_Claire_Ware-6_inch-s.jpg Cast_Iron-Skillet-Belle_Claire_Ware-6_inch-oh.jpg

2. Tom Mackay

Tom Mackay Well-Known Member

Where I live cast iron is hot - or was - but now that the thrift stores are trying to cash in with indiscriminately high prices for anything heavy I think they've helped dry up interest. But I think the old stuff still pulls people. I simply wanted to get rid of a pan I never used so I put it up for sale and it went in a flash - the buyer giving me twice what I'd asked !

judy, Christmasjoy, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I still use my great grandmother's cast iron covered pot.
    She brought it from France when she immigrated in the 1840s. My FIL still gets excited when I cook glazed carrots in it. I also have 4 or 5 old skillets from my grandma. I love them since nothing sticks to them. I only clean them with salt.
    greg

LoveTheHunt! and judy like this.
  4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I sell cast iron sometimes at the flea market, I can find them cheap at yard sales. Often they are filthy, I do the kosher salt and oil cleaning and then let my husband cook with them for a few months. That’s my secret, DH loves them and treats them with respect.

It’s amazing how they don’t stick plus they make the best cornbread!

judy, LoveTheHunt! and gregsglass like this.
  5. LoveTheHunt!

Yep, cast iron is best for a lot of cooking... So, nobody else has heard of this company, either?!

judy likes this.
  6. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

7. LoveTheHunt!