Featured Ever seen a frame like this?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Miscstuff, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

This has got to be the wackiest frame for a painting I've ever seen. It's up for auction with a local mob and listed as
    Jesus & Archangel Guzco School
    Oil on Copper
    with Ornate Frame
    Late 19th Century
    28 x 20cm

Would I be right in thinking Italian?
    Cheers
    Stephen

painting.jpg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    Christmasjoy, lloyd249 and judy like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is Cuzco School, Peru.
    The Cuzco School (1570-1780) is a famous Peruvian colonial style. It is a delightful mix of Spanish Baroque, folk art, and some Native Peruvian influence. Throw all those elements together and you get a wacky, but collectible frame.
    The style was not confined to Cuzco it spread to other Andean cities, like Quito. Most of the artists were Indians or Mestizos, for them it was a way of making a reasonable living in colonial times.
    Cuzco is a beautiful city in the Andes, the former capital of the Inca empire.
    Cuzco School art is more rare and valuable than comparable Italian.
    Art in the Cuzco style was also made after 1780, it is seen as a local style. The influence is still seen in some Andean art today.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  3. Miscstuff

Many many many thanks for that. It is a delight to learn something new and interesting.
    Thank You
    Stephen

4. Any Jewelry

Pleasure, Stephen. Will you be bidding?

Christmasjoy and lloyd249 like this.
  5. Miscstuff

I'll have a shot at it. Will let you know how it goes.
    Cheers
    Stephen

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

AJ, your knowledge never ceases to floor me!!!!! You ARE AMAZING!!!!!!! A true GEM among all the rest here!!!! I can only hope to retain a thimble full of what abounds on this site!!!!!!! Thank you one and all!!

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'd be curious to know what it sells for.

Christmasjoy and lloyd249 like this.
  8. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Can I get an AMEN on that, Brothers and Sisters???

9. Any Jewelry

Yes, this forum is a treasure chest, one of the things that attracted me and many others.
    As for me, I have a special place in my brain for seemingly useless knowledge. My neurologist explains it as an unusual cavity caused by too many convolutions (folds). What does he know, I need that space for storage:D. Of the Cuzco School for instance. Just imagine, those wacky frames wouldn't have anywhere else to go:(.

10. Miscstuff

Alas I didn't get it. Sold for AU$400 and I bailed out at $260. Still think it was a reasonable buy at $400 but I didn't have the spare cash. Such is life.
    Cheers
    Stephen

11. Any Jewelry

Well, you can't win them all. And I certainly enjoyed seeing it.

Draft saved Draft deleted