Exquisite but not sure what to call it

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Dar Finn, May 11, 2017.

?

What is this and what design

1. Coverlet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nordic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Swedish

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dar Finn

Dar Finn New Member

I puchased this beautiful coverlet or afghan approximately 12 years ago from an antique store. I have only used it a few years during Christmas draped over the sofa. Extremely warm so never used it to cover up or snuggle with. I believe it was made in 1957 because there is a 57 written in ink on the handmade tag. I'm planning on selling it but I don't know anything about yarn work. Is it crochet? Needle point? Weave? Rughook? Also, is the design Early American? Nordic? Swedish? Something else?
    Well taken care of, not a snag at all. Approximately 48" x 66". Can't find anything close to it online. What would you list it for? Thank you for any suggestions and replies.

Attached Files:

Joshua Brown likes this.
  2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

To me, it looks like the whole thing was hand knit, then the designs were cross-stitched on with yarn.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Looks like a combination of techniques - knitted ground with the design added via needlework. I have an afghan on which the design was added in "cross-stitch" - handknitted by a friend, although in "squares" rather than in one piece.

Maude Daniels isn't a particularly Scandinavian name.

4. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

6. Dar Finn

Dar Finn New Member

Yes, I know that Daniels isn't
    I did look up the last name Daniels and German was listed as a possibility.

7. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

This type of label could be ordered & was quite popular at one time for anyone who did a lot of handcrafting. They would stitch it on when it was finished & if the piece was given to someone it was a way of signing a piece to remind the recipient of who gave it to them.

Draft saved Draft deleted