Featured F.T Wright & Sons Stone Ware Jug w/Stencil Tiger

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by J Dagger, Nov 1, 2019.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

8E3E15E3-E6F9-40B9-BF4A-FED0955FFDC3.jpeg 975EB569-A20D-43EB-B9F8-59A9FACB29AA.jpeg 4DB83655-81E7-442C-86ED-E976479670E6.jpeg 7451D8D7-9111-4EE2-98BC-082CC372F825.jpeg 0243D923-DCA0-40B2-8FA9-5DF86BCF2DC2.jpeg CB30B3AE-F456-4BC6-B3B0-4DF83BCAD971.jpeg Bought this great jug today. What do y’all think about the tiger? Would have been added by previous owner with stencil? Added by manufacturer? Seems unlikely since it’s not centered and isn’t hand painted? I believe they shut their doors by about 1905 or so. Think it adds value or detracts if not original? I love the way it looks personally and I think others might like it but just wondering what the general consensus would be?
    Edit: I’ll be damned. Must have been manufacturer or a brand that applied the tiger. Found at least two others.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  2. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

The origin of the Tiger on a piece of Massachusetts stoneware is unknown, but other circus animals (elephants, zebras, etc) have appeared on decorated pieces. On June 7, 1871, the first traveling circus performed in nearby Middleborough (MA), about 9 miles east of Taunton. The grand spectacle was none other than "P.T Barnum's Grand Traveling Museum, Menagerie, Caravan & Hippodrome" in its very first year of operation. Barnum's "Menagerie" included a number of exotic caged animals including Bengal Tigers, Leopards, Panthers and Jaguars.

Worthpoint
    *NR* Antique Stoneware: 4G Crock w/ Cobalt Tiger, F.T Wright, Taunton MA, c1870s
    Screenshot_20191101-160524_1572649659985.jpg Very cool, @J Dagger!

3. scoutshouse

A nice story, but I don't know who verified it... :)

judy, yourturntoloveit and J Dagger like this.
  4. J Dagger

That is an awesome piece of info. Would be very cool if it’s true. Thanks for pulling that, I didn’t check worthpoint. Any chance you’re able to see the sale price? I haven’t ponied up the bucks yet for a membership.

I bought this to flip and now as with most things I’m wanting to hang on to it already.
    Edit:spelling

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    scoutshouse and judy like this.
  5. scoutshouse

@Kronos may be able to help...

J Dagger likes this.
  6. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

$207.50

judy and J Dagger like this.
  7. scoutshouse

In 2018...

judy likes this.
  8. J Dagger

Much appreciated!!

9. J Dagger

Good lookin out! Was wondering that exact thing. Maybe I’ll shoot for the moon locally since it should have extra interest here. If I get the moon cool, if not I’d love to keep it. If space wasn’t an issue it would stay with me without exception. I mean how many times have you seen stone ware with a tiger on it before now!?

10. scoutshouse

It's nicer than the crock, imo. Keep looking around!

J Dagger and judy like this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's very nice.............and cool !

scoutshouse and J Dagger like this.
  12. judy

judy Well-Known Member

scoutshouse likes this.
  13. J Dagger

I spent way to long browsing their auction results after clicking your link. Great 101 on high end Stone Ware!!! I think this would definitely be the place that would know. I imagine they wouldn’t enjoy just handing out free estimates to a stranger?

judy and scoutshouse like this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

why not, they've helped others before....could it hurt to ask?

u almost make it sound like we get paid here.....;):rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

15. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I have never been lucky enough to have a piece to ask their expertise, but I understand that they are very friendly and do reply.

16. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

From a business standpoint it helps Crocker Farm (or any auction house for that matter) to provide free estimates in the hopes that you will choose to sell the item through them. I imagine they get a fair amount of their listings that way.
    Don

J Dagger, judy and scoutshouse like this.
  17. smcrae

smcrae Active Member

pretty neat!

judy, J Dagger and scoutshouse like this.
  18. J Dagger

I did once ask a retailer of Asian antiques for an opinion. They were kind enough to answer
    Sweet, well maybe I will drop them a note. I bought a nice 19th c jug made by Goodwin of Hartford yesterday. Maybe I’ll ask on that one at the same time.

scoutshouse and komokwa like this.
  19. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    J Dagger and scoutshouse like this.
  20. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Is anybody able to see the Youtube video I posted. I can't see it in Internet Explorer or Edge but I know it is there. Can't see any videos embedded on this site.

Draft saved Draft deleted