Featured Fabric identification on this iridescent beauty please

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Emalinedawn, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Emalinedawn

Emalinedawn Active Member

IMG_4898.jpg IMG_4905.jpg What is the name of this fabric? It feels like a Rayon, taffeta, and brocade mixed together with iridescence. It's periwinkle with the design in white, and dark blue thread woven in. A little like peau de soie. I know there is a term and my mind is drawing a blank. IMG_4898.jpg IMG_4905.jpg

2. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Changeable taffeta? Or I might be confused with watered silk.......been a long time since I dealt with anything but denim....................

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Early 50s cocktail dress? The fabric is wonderful. Japanese design silk?

Christmasjoy, Emalinedawn and judy like this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

What a lovely dress. Peau de soie perhaps ?

Emalinedawn and judy like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is gorgeous, very elegant. And the same neckline as my wedding dress.:)

I wasn't fully awake when I saw the title, and I read indecent beauty. (Freudian:banghead:)
    Not that I am disappointed by this very decent beauty.

6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I grew up in rural NH and had visions of growing up and going to cocktail parties wearing dresses like this. I graduated from high school in 1967 and, of course, all these gorgeous dresses were passe. :(

7. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

Aren't fabrics with woven-in pattern called jacquard? In this case jacquard taffeta?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  8. Any Jewelry

It reminds me of Chinese silk, with those blossoming branches. They call it silk brocade, which you also mentioned, although brocade usually looks more embossed.
    Could we see the back of the fabric (inside)?

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  9. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

If only we had movement and "sound" with the photos. Then we'd know for certain if it is taffeta.;)

"The Rustle of Taffeta" . . .
    "There is no sound more feminine than a woman in a taffeta dress." Oscar de la Renta

10. Iggy and Alice

Iggy and Alice I love my twin!

I was going with taffeta but this appears too soft for that. My first though when I saw the picture was silk brocade. Very difficult to determine without being able to touch and hear the fabric. Good luck

11. Mansons2005

When I hit my majority I decided to take my folks to the Rainbow Room as part of the celebrations................Ma had JUST gotten a Dior "New Look" evening dress (mega, mega $$, couture, in Paris) of violet/copper changeable taffeta with a similar neckline and a crinoline skirt...............and the waiter slide an entire plate of duck a l'orange into her lap...............she lost her taste for Long Island duckling after that - even though our tenant farmers raised them............

12. Any Jewelry

Oooh..... and I can just picture the dress too. I love changeant fabrics.

13. Emalinedawn

Emalinedawn Active Member

I'm fairly certain it's not Silk, but possibly Silk thread on design. I do a ton of 50's dresses, and this fabric is different than any I've seen. It feels just like a thick rayon Taffeta, not thick as brocade, smooth no ribbing on outer side, underside is shinier than top and robbed. I put Peau de Soie in my post here as similar, but just not quite. Its thicker, heavier, It's not quite anything I know lol. Gorgeous though. If doesn't sell I'm keeping for my daughter when older ;) Oh how I wish my 5'11 frame was more petite ;). Although it's a size 8, I'm WAY too tall, I have to pull the girls up to my chin to wear it, not a good look lol.

14. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Damask?

15. ceh

ceh New Member

16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I've never fit into anything that small since I was a kid...but dang.... And if I'd been Mansons' mom, that waiter would have been a dead duck too. It may be 60 years down the road, but Dior New Look still rocks. I'm a sucker for a portrait neck and a full skirt.

17. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

Kinda makes you want to stand up and twirl.

18. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Try this site if you haven't already: http://vintagefashionguild.org/
    They have a fabric resource guide that may help. Also lots of other sections that will suck you in forever. Love the dress by the way; especially the color, one of my favorites!!!

19. Mansons2005

Well, I was "doing the Deb circuit" at that time, and the Rainbow Room was de rigueur for first dates back then (Sardi's, Cotton Club, Peacock Alley, The Persian Room and Trader Vic's for either second dates or "sure things"). I never saw that waiter again at the Rainbow Room, and I do believe that I would recognize any grown man that I had seen screaming in Spanish with tears running down his cheeks...................Ma got a nice cheque from them as well...................and because Dior was Dior, a cheque in the mail, et voila'! a replacement dress arrives on the door step, all the way from Paris......................

20. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

@Mansons2005 You have such interesting stories. You and others from your generation must have really noticed how the world has changed drastically during your lifetime.

judy, pearlsnblume and johnnycb09 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted