Faceted bead ID

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Feb 22, 2020.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

These arrived in my latest joblot but my attention was taken by some rather lovely coral.
    Now I've studied these I'd love your input please.
    Can anyone guide me with IDing these and to a website with information about faceting of beads?. There is lots of information about gemstone cutting for rings and brooches etc. but not a lot about styles of faceting for beads or the dates they were commonly used.
    The brown ones feel really good quality and heavy. Carnelian or Citrine?. Ignore the clasps as they have been restrung. Smallest c6mm and largest are c14mm
    The other deep purple ones have got me stumped (not difficult). Definitely gemstone, restrung with modern clear beads. To begin with I thought they were Amethyst as they have a purple hue but when the light shines through some of them are bright pink but some are so dark the light doesn't shine through at all. I put a piece of Amethyst on the light for comparison.
    They vary from c8mm to c12mm so quite chunky.
    I did wonder if they were something dyed but they are so different with the light shining through maybe not.
    Thankyou for looking :)

IMG_5225.JPG FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_5232.JPG IMG_5230.JPG IMG_5231.JPG IMG_5229.JPG IMG_5233.JPG

judy likes this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The beads on top look like agate. The second string is probably glass; some black glass is "amethyst glass" and does that. Dunno on the purple lump.

KSW likes this.
  3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

On the "amethyst" nugget,what is the circle... looks like someone tried to drill a hole.

KSW likes this.
  4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou for looking.
    The unreliable gem tester is pretty reliable with glass and she says both of these are gemstones. Then her help gets less reliable when it comes to actually IDing them.
    The purple chunk is definitely Amethyst, I just put it in there because I originally thought the purple beads were Amethyst but they aren't as you can see the difference in the same light source. The circle is indeed a hole :)

5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Found this neat little inclusion on one of the beads.
    3B32BA4A-1E94-493B-8203-D8D2A4C7E2E6.jpeg

6. Hollyblue

What does the rest of the bead look like?It's an amethyst pocket like you might see in an agate.

7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I'll take a photo in the morning but it looks just like the other very dark purple almost black beads. Interestingly, I've just tested a few bits of known Amethyst with Mary Contrary gem tester and she's spot on with that but she's not suggesting Amethyst for this at all :confused:. Really odd.

8. Hollyblue

What does she suggest?It looks like an amethyst pocket my sons found in the center of a Lake Superior agate.

KSW likes this.
  9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Using the purple filter she suggests Almandine,iolite,morganite,pyrope,tanzanite and tourmaline.
    E260FF38-CA5A-4C65-B092-BAA3A1D7E321.jpeg

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

This type of faceting was fashionable during different periods and still is.

On Baltic amber this squarish faceting is called 'Königsberger Schliff', which means Königsberg cut. Königsberg is present day Kaliningrad, in East Prussia, now part of Russia. It is the capital of Baltic amber mining and processing.
    Not that this info is of any use in this case.:sorry:

QUOTE="KSW, post: 1674027, member: 8708"]The brown ones feel really good quality and heavy. Carnelian or Citrine?.[/QUOTE]

Carnelian.
    Grapes.
    She is just reading the content page of a gemstone book.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    i need help and KSW like this.
  11. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Carnelian.

Grapes.

She is just reading the content page of a gemstone book.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
    Think I need to buy a good book. I bought one online but it doesn’t have any pictures- really? a gemstone ID book with no photos :rolleyes:. Lots about polariscopes and refractivity which is like giving my dog a book about Astro physics!.
    By sight these are telling me Amethyst but MC and that bright pink are telling me otherwise so I just don’t know.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Pre-photograph era? And supplementary box with daguerrotypes maybe?:playful:
    Try booksellers next time you go to a car boot sale. Many people think these books useless, which they aren't, but they often sell for a bargain.
    Look for books which also list gemological properties, but in such a way that you can still understand what they are on about.:D

KSW likes this.
  13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I’ll look in the children’s section then. At least they get pretty pictures!

14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The blow-up looks like either a dyed agate or banded amethyst.

KSW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted