Fake Rookwood Pottery vase?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by tim friedrich, Jun 27, 2020.

1. tim friedrich

tim friedrich New Member

I found this at a flea market. It doesn't look like Rookwood quality but took it home for a few dollars. The bottom is not glazed as RP always is. The mark is very weak and there is a hole filled in its center. I cannot find a similar piece online. Assuming there re many fakes out there, does anyone have insights on it?

Attached Files:

Joe2007 and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The pottery doesn't look old. Probably not meant to fake anyone out. Beyond that... dunno.

3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

looks good to me but WDIK

4. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Hello & Welcome to the forum!

I collect Rookwood Pottery but am by no means an expert. Your vase looks relatively new, perhaps a few decades old. I agree the mark looks very strange. As you probably know Rookwood has a messy history, being sold and restarted several times in recent decades but your piece doesn't look like one of the newer iterations of Rookwood Pottery either. The article below states that;

"There are many copies of Rookwood pieces that have been made straight from the vintage originals that have no copyright protection ...... Sloppy-looking Rookwood marks are usually a good sign of a fake; many times, these poorly made marks are on one-of-a-kind pieces, which are typically fakes and have no year or model number. Small details, like the tiny hook shapes at the end of the flame mark, are usually missing on fake pieces."

Rookwood Pottery And Tiles: Fooled By Fakes
    https://antiquesandauctionnews.net/articles/Rookwood-Pottery-And-Tiles/

aaroncab likes this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

6. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

Great link -thanks!

7. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I think it used to be a lamp--a hole and an unglazed bottom.

8. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

9. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I think you are confusing Rookwood Stoneware with Rookwood Pottery. Rookwood Pottery is owned by Marilyn Wade, heir of the Scripps family fortune. Mottahedeh's Rookwood Stoneware looks similar but from what I can tell is not affiliated with Rookwood Pottery.

https://rookwood.com/pages/about-rookwood

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think this vase is OK for later production Rookwood. Looks like when the hole was filled, some of the plaster got in to the mark.

DragonflyWink likes this.
  11. tim friedrich

tim friedrich New Member

I think you are right. The clay to fill the hole was put on afterward and filled in the manufacture date numerals. Thanks.

12. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Looks like 1947 date to me - guessing the color is off in the first pic, but looks like 'oxblood' (sang de boeuf) in the second. Not finding anything for the production number, but do find some similar Rookwood shapes and glazes...

~Cheryl

13. tim friedrich

tim friedrich New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted