fake sevres mark?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Sep 24, 2022.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

something about this seems fake. Its like a cross between Helena Wolfson and Sevres.

74399255_IMG5346.jpg 6754944_IMG5343.jpg 1.jpg 4.jpg 3.jpg

2. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

Hasn't ANYONE got a piece of Sevres with the REAL mark? Please! There was something on the British AR the other day, but I was at the other end of the room, and didn't turn around in time to see it. :(

3. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

I am sure that this is not a real piece of Sevres

4. sunday silence

I dont remember any of Napoleon's guys dressed in rose.

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

That smudging all over it makes me think fairly new Chinese.

6. Chris Marshall

Chris Marshall Well-Known Member

The mark is an "impersonation" of a german mark formerly owned by Wilhelm Rittirsch.

sunday silence, komokwa and kentworld like this.
  7. sunday silence

well Im confused How is it any different than the one shown on your site:

kueps-02-03.jpg

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
  8. sunday silence

the one shown here:

Attached Files:

9. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

sunday silence likes this.
  10. sunday silence

First, I did look at other items that's why I'm asking. Secondly, Chris says its an "impersonation" of the Rittirsch mark, which I dont really understand. The marks looks identical to me. Most of the "fake" marks or whatever that I see from asia are similar but not an exact duplicate of the mark. There's a reason for that I suppose and its probably so they dont get accused of outright counterfitting.

To me, the original item I posted looks "fake" or not a real antique German item is because of the mottled grey look or as Johnny calls it "smudging". I've seen that on a lot of the arnart and similar items. Second the bottom has that waffle board or gridiron pattern which I also see on arnart a lot. So the piece is suspicious but the mark seems to be authentic, hence why I am confused.

Look at this piece supposedly from Rittirsch (from catawiki site), it kind of has that grey look to it:

d7016781-72bd-4d41-abe1-b77e57f0f7ad.jpg

11. sunday silence

Granted the gaudy pink/rose outfit and the pair of drums don't seem Napoleonic at all and the drums do seem asian. But still there's the mark is it a complete knock off or something similar? So if you have anything of substance to add then that would be Great.

12. kentworld

I could very well be wrong, but the finish of your piece with all that "shading" or whatever the grey stuff is tends to make one think southeast asian imitation. Look at the faces of the of the examples you posted above -- not at all like your piece. So, again, marks aren't the whole story. It is an easy enough mark to copy. You bring up good points but in the end, I tend to think not a genuine German piece. I'm sorry I ruffled your feathers with my google comment, but really the genuine Rittirsch pieces look much different than your Garde Imperiale figure.

sunday silence likes this.
  13. sunday silence

I dont disagree with your remarks either. The smudging is the first thing I noticed as well as the gridiron work on the bottom. And no it really doesn't look much like the other Rittirsch pieces Ive seen. you have to stretch to see much in common.

But what I was getting at, and what I was hoping you'd address is the mark is pretty much a perfect copy of the Rittirsch mark. Is it not? I dont really see that in any of the "fake" or knock off marks we've seen. They are always a little bit different. Right? And ther's a reason for that presumably to avoid being accused of trade violation. so what's going on here? Is this some bizarre Rittirsch piece with imaginary Napoleonic guys? or is it really an asian knock off with a carbon copy of a Rittirsch mark?

And yes that face just seems asian to me and to you, I think. So again must be a knock off of some sort.

And I dont understand Chris's remarks without any more explanation. I dont know what impersonation means. And I dont know if he sees something in that mark that is different than other Rittirsch marks. Something we dont see. So that's why I ask to see if there is more to learn.

ANyhow as far as I can tell, its still somewhat of a mystery. And a very interesting discussion so thank you.

14. kentworld

It may remain a mystery why the mark looks genuine. I think Chris used "impersonation" to mean imitation, fake copy, etc. But I don't want to put words in his mouth! ;)

15. AlyMarie

AlyMarie New Member

Wilhelm Rittirsch, and a genuine mark. The "imitation" was the Martha Budich mark that was the same, with MB on the ends rather than WR.

16. AlyMarie

AlyMarie New Member

Wilhelm Rittirsch and it's genuine. The "imitation" mark was the Martha Budich (or vice-versa) that had MB on the ends rather than WR. This is a genuine German mark.

Draft saved Draft deleted