fake tiffany silver?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Asian Fever, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy and cxgirl like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I think you are right to be skeptical about the mark, although I suppose it's possible that these sticks were made "for" Tiffany by another manufacturer. But even that possibility isn't great.

Wrong font for "Tiffany", wrong style of the ampersand, wrong o after C in Co (should have a line below the o and the o should be positioned higher relative to the C.) The word Makers is also missing. Not to mention that the 3 lines of the mark are sloppy.

On top of that, the shape of the base and the placement of the floral design on the stick do not match the ones made in the 1890's. Could be one more indication that they were made to be sold at Tiffany store by someone else.

Are they "fake"? I don't know, but they certainly appear to be mis-represented to me.

4. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Also looks like someone sanded off the original marks before adding the fake marks, I’ve never seen sterling finished like that even on the bottom.

Lucille.b, Fid, Christmasjoy and 4 others like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm with the others, Asian, you were right to doubt it.

Christmasjoy and Asian Fever like this.
  6. Asian Fever

I thought there're no fake silverwares except russian 84 and 87 :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Sadly the world is full of fake silverware.

8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

bakers and anund, you two are good:) That is an awful lot of money someone will be paying for something they are thinking is Tiffany.

I looked at the photos of the base and can see scratches going around the base, I guess are marks from sanding?

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised this company fell for the mark.

Another possibility is someone put a fake Tiffany mark over a real one; I've heard of that happening when the original didn't look "good". I'd check too and see if Gorham made the same pattern. They're pretty sticks.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    judy, Christmasjoy and Asian Fever like this.
  10. Bakersgma

I was also thinking that it seems odd that any reputable antiques dealer would not realize the issues with the marking. I know that Tiffany is supposed to regularly scan "Tiffany" listings on eBay to sniff out fakes (VERO program?) but wonder whether they ever do the same on the web in general.

judy, Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Asian Fever

So this one is definitely a fake tiffany, right? :hungover::hungover::hungover:
    I am going to buy it....so lucky I asked you guys inadvance.

12. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Whoever obliterated the original marks did more than just the area where the marks were to make it look uniform.
    I don’t know about “reputable dealer”, at $17,500.00 for obvious fake marks.

Lucille.b, Fid, judy and 3 others like this.
  13. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Am also surprised that an old and respected firm like Rau didn't address the clear issue with these marks, which, to my eye, are unlikely to be genuine. Note that they do not claim these actual candlesticks are 19th century, and suppose they could be mid to late 20th century reissues, they have used sans-serif lettering on some pieces produced for them, but as already suggested, the marks are sloppy and just 'off'.

This is a style that was produced, they were shown on the Roadshow in 2013: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/se...s/tiffany-co-candlesticks-ca-1895--201304A46/ Those candlesticks bear the proper Tiffany marks from 1891-1902, with a design pattern number dating to 1882, two years after the Chrysanthemum pattern was initially introduced.

I'm bothered by the overall quality of the pieces in general, and very much so by the appearance of the underside, not so much the scratches, which could be from very harsh polishing, but that flat center just doesn't look quite right, and almost wonder if they are electroformed pieces, like the water set Janet Zapata discussed in an article for Silver Magazine: https://www.realorrepro.com/article/Tiffany-Silver-Water-Set-Faked

Snagged a fuzzy screen shot of the underside from the Roadshow video, appearing to be a good heavy base, open into the stick portion:

tiffanycandlesticks-composite.jpg

~Cheryl

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    Lucille.b, Fid, Bronwen and 5 others like this.
  14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

$1700 maybe.... maybe... if you really like something and want to keep it. They've got them priced about $16000 over the odds for fake marks. With fake marks, I'd shell out about fifty bucks for scrap silver. :arghh::arghh::arghh:

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  15. Bronwen

I'm not seeing the slightest trace of an O there at all, any size, any position, underlined or not.

Fid, judy, Christmasjoy and 1 other person like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

There is a faint O, which to me looks the same size as the C. Don't know if I am seeing that right.

judy, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  17. Bronwen

Nope, I still don't see it. Held a magnifier up to the screen & just see that roughened texture everywhere after the C, without a hint of interruption. On the other hand, I'm really, really good at missing things in photos.

Fid, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  18. Asian Fever

Interesting, that was David Walker, the guy I met before in freeman's. very intersting.:cat::cat:

19. Bakersgma

Earlier I thought I saw a small o to the right of the C, but for some reason I can't see it now. :watching:

Bronwen, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  20. Asian Fever

The one you see is the picture I attached. The one you didn't see is the one pasted on this discussion. They are two different pictures. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Draft saved Draft deleted