Featured Fake Wedgwood plate or the real deal?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Nov 17, 2021.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

This was at Goodwill today ($2.99) and I picked it up thinking it was such a lovely plate for a holiday table I know probably not huge value either way, but I liked it decoratively and would only want it if the real deal. Learning experience either way!

The bottom marked w/impressed "Wedgwood" and initials. Plus some numbering that I thought might be inventory marks for an estate possibly. 10 inches in diameter.

But here is what bothers me a touch and got me wondering if it could be a fake. (Were fakes even made of this kind of thing??) It shows zero wear. Also the weight for an older plate feels a bit off -- like it almost could be metal? Like it would "ring" a bit like metal if you tapped it. I also couldn't find a match online, but with a pattern name like "Fruit", I'm picking up all the of the matches when describing Wedgwood plates w/fruit decor, so maybe just missed it.

What do you think? (Also tried an image search w/no luck.)

aaawe1.jpg

we2.jpg

we3.jpg

we7.jpg

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Looks real enough to me, Etruria works ceased in 1949.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's a very pretty plate.

Debora

johnnycb09, NewEngland and Lucille.b like this.
  4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Agree with Dave, looks good, date code is for 1904 I think. The purple script is the pattern number - A446Y - many patterns didn't have names, just numbers like this. Many patterns aren't recorded as there were so many, although the Wedgwood Museum may have information and are usually pretty helpful if you message them.

5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Great info everyone. Thank you!

komokwa likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Looks fine to me, too.

Lucille.b likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted