Family estate selling questions on values

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by SupraBo, Feb 27, 2020.

1. SupraBo

SupraBo New Member

Hi all love your forum, finally posting for the first time I have a family property that is been in our family for over 150 years. There are some items that I would like to request information on that no one locally can answer any question

I’d like to request if there is a potential value or not

thank you in advance

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Need better photos please. At first glance, a 20th C brass
    log box, but it may be better than that.

Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Well, welcome! We like to see full images here so I've taken the liberty. Does appear to be a firewood box. Does it have all four original casters? (Looks to be tilting a bit.) Can't see scene clearly enough to identify -- perhaps a tavern? -- but as above, early 20th century.

Debora

0D0FB15C-14FB-4D6E-8AC0-141C321A17D6.jpg

kyratango, Christmasjoy and Sandra like this.
  4. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Christmasjoy and Sandra like this.
  5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Not of great value but useful and lots of visual impact.

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. daveydempsey

It makes no difference as it is wrongly described as Copper when it is clearly Brass'

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. Aquitaine

Davey, I was just referring to what Flipper had posted as an example.....being sold they were partially blocked images, & I noted that if they were clicked on one could see the whole image, NOT the OP's image!! And you're right....the 'example' was mis-labeled!!

Christmasjoy and daveydempsey like this.
  10. daveydempsey

Yeah, I did not mean to be abrupt, perhaps I should have used some smileys :hilarious::hilarious::D:D:D:cool:;);)

Christmasjoy and blooey like this.
  11. Aquitaine

It's all good!!!

Christmasjoy and daveydempsey like this.
  12. daveydempsey

No worries:D

Christmasjoy likes this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

This one is slightly better than most - some of the 60s ones are dire.

14. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

The problem with trying to place a value on things is that it depends on so many factors.
    • what part of the world you're in
    • what your options are for selling such as listing with an auction house or selling at a yard sale
    • can you ship it or does it have to be a local sale
    • what condition is it in
    • etc
    The easiest thing to do is to look for sold examples like yours and then compare to your options. You can check sold items on Ebay or someplace like Liveauctioneers where many different auction houses in many locations have things posted. Keep in mind that any sites like those will also come with fees for selling.

For example, this appears to be like yours (you can compare the size etc) and the information such as age may or may not be correct. It sold in Mississippi, USA in 2014 for $450. Generally speaking many antique/vintage items have decreased in value in the last few years but that's just a general statement.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/27430438_brass-covered-kindling-box-ca-1860-23-in-t-26-in

[​IMG]

Here are a couple searches on that site with similar items.
    https://www.liveauctioneers.com/search/?keyword=brass kindling box&sort=-relevance&status=archive

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/search/?keyword=brass log box&sort=-relevance&status=archive

komokwa, Bakersgma and Houseful like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Mostly taken from paintings by the Dutch painter Jan Steen and contemporaries. I always thought these were Dutch, but since Jan Steen is so popular I guess they could have been made anywhere.
    In this case google translate is to blame, not the seller. It is a Dutch Catawiki listing, and Catawiki uses an automatic G translate program.
    The Dutch seller described it as 'latoenkoper', which means brass sheet. Cast brass is 'messing' in Dutch, we differentiate between the two.
    G translate has no idea what 'latoen' is and translated it as latin (Latijn in Dutch). 'Koper' is copper.
    G translate in its infinite wisdom invented the term latin copper.:rolleyes:
    Welcome to the internet jungle.;)

BoudiccaJones, komokwa and Aquitaine like this.
  16. daveydempsey

Hence the English term, "Double Dutch":hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
    I have a friend who is a fluent Gaelic speaker, it really messes with your head.:hilarious::hilarious:

komokwa, Aquitaine and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Still relevant, even more so now.:D
    I know! My brother speaks Gaelic, although not fluent, his daughters speak fluent Welsh. They all speak English and several other languages as well, one of them even Hawaiian. I guess they are continuing a family tradition of utter language confusion.;)

komokwa and Aquitaine like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted