Family Heirloom Cut Glass Bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Steve Shubinski, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Steve Shubinski

Steve Shubinski Well-Known Member

I am pretty certain this bowl dates back to the 1800s. I know nothing about cut glass so any help you can provide as to possible age and if this is similar to any particular pattern, that would be great. I tried to do a little research on several websites but did not have much success. The bowl is 7 3/8" in diameter and about 4" tall. I took a few photos with the flash just to get a different view. Thanks for your help!

cut glass 1.jpg cut glass 2.jpg cut glass 3.jpg cut glass 4.jpg cut glass 6.jpg cut glass 7.jpg cut glass 8.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

How sharp do the cuts feel to your fingers?

Christmasjoy and Debora like this.
  3. Steve Shubinski

They do not cut my fingers but the cuts are pretty deep, maybe about 4mm

4. Bakersgma

I didn't mean that they should cut your skin, but are they are crisp as opposed to rounded at the edges?

5. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Steve......Look around the base of the bowl(uncut areas)for a signature (acid etch) also check the bottom of the feet.
    My immediate thoughts, and I'm no expert, is that cut glass from the 1800's did not leave large areas with no cutting. The feet are also throwing me off.....that is more of a 1920's or 30's feature, at least on american glassware. If you know any more information on where the bowl might have been obtained, that might help.
    As I said, I'm no expert, so I could be way off base. Wait for other members to chime in.

Bakersgma and judy like this.
  6. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Bakersgma and judy like this.
  8. Matt Johnson

Matt Johnson Well-Known Member

I doubt it's antique. Most of these things are from the 60's and 70's as in 1960/70. Bohemian crystal glass, from the Czech Republic. They were cheap-ish and were imported pretty much everywhere.
    I have many similar items

popsycat and judy like this.
  9. Bakersgma

I'm curious why you believe this bowl dates back to the 1800s. What kind of family information do you have about it?

Tanya and judy like this.
  10. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

Yes--called a ferner. Looks like late American Brilliant period..not antique- but rather vintage. These were cut by many firms and some were a combo of cut and pressed. Many were more extensively cut than this one.

11. Steve Shubinski

Thanks all for the replies. I do not know anything more specific than it was in the family for years as one of the relatives gave it to my Mom. I will try holding it up to the sunlight and report back.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  12. Steve Shubinski

clutteredcloset49, when I hold it up to the light, there is definitely light refraction. There is also the very deep "ping" sound to the glass as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted