Featured Family Photo

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by moreotherstuff, May 3, 2019.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Family history says this boy grew up and married a great-aunt of mine. I don't know what (if any) relation that makes him to me, but I like this photo.
    z.jpg

Looking at the style of that house. either this is a son of that great-aunt, or I don't know who. 1920s?

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Maybe great aunt in right side window

ga.PNG

And Clint Eastwood in the left side window.:hilarious:

ce.PNG

scoutshouse, Jivvy, SBSVC and 12 others like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I can see why you'd like that photo. Aside from the boy and his cart, it has a wonderful linear composition. Someone had a very good eye. Now, the house is interesting. Looks like a late 1800s construction that was modernized with craftsman-style window which may have involved enclosing a porch. I'd be curious as to other's opinions.

Debora

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

He's in knickerbockers and Mother has her hair up so first decade or so of the 20th century.

Debora

6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Love the photo. I was also thinking craftsman-style.

7. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Even the goat is smiling.

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Hopefully the chronology will become clearer as I get more into family papers, but I suspect it won't.

I was thinking craftsman or prairie-school on the window and can easily see it as a later extension.

No matter how you look at it, there's a generational difference between this child and any future husband of the aunt. She probably was married by the late 1890s.

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I just LOVE the whole image, MOS!!!!

10. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

If you have access to genealogical records, you might be able to trace who lived where when and what their relationships were. And if you know approximately where your great-aunt lived and the house is still standing, it's possible you could locate it in google maps.

I've found old city directories, state and federal census records, marriage and death records, etc. very helpful in finding info on my family.

11. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

And, the local library. :)

12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I love the photo!

scoutshouse, Pat P and moreotherstuff like this.
  13. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Me too.

14. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

From an interesting article on "Goat Cart Men" (article based on San Francisco goat cart photos, but also gives mention to popularity in Europe):

"By the 1910s, someone (or many someones) had the bright idea of traveling from neighborhood to neighborhood with a goat cart and a camera."

https://opensfhistory.org/news/2017/03/26/goat-cart-men-a-closer-look/

PS: Also love the photo. ;)

15. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Nowadays it would say
    "By the 2019 era, someone or many someones, or ALL had the bright idea of traveling everywhere with their cell phones on and the built in camera and taking endless, pointless, silly selfies that no one else cares to see at all much like the old
    travel slides of days gone by. where we rolled our eyes in boredom as we were forced to watch family trips and gatherings."
    :(

scoutshouse, judy, Pat P and 2 others like this.
  16. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't know where this photo was taken, and have no idea of the breed of goat. I confess, I thought this image was more unique than turns about to be the case. Who knew goat cart photos were a fad? I'll still stake it's a better goat cart photo than most.

scoutshouse, Pat P and pearlsnblume like this.
  17. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Initially, my thought was to narrow the date by looking at the wicker cart. Then there were all of these pictures of children in goat carts and I was down the rabbit hole.

Most of the pictures I saw didn't rise above "snapshot." Your picture could be the inspiration for a Wes Anderson movie.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  18. Tom Mackay

Tom Mackay Well-Known Member

Wow - goat cart men - this place is endlessly interesting !

scoutshouse, Jivvy and moreotherstuff like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted