Fan-Shaped Mirror Need Help Identifying

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by R Ewing, Jun 16, 2020.

1. R Ewing

R Ewing EclecticMomsAttic

From an estate sale, this mirror has little bevels all around, obviously shaped like a fan or sort of a quarter circle; glass/mirror over 5mm thick and backed on wood which is about 8mm thick. Has a very rusty metal hinged easel on back secured with what appear to be thin nails not screws and the flat metal has some engraved scrollwork.
    Front of mirror is secured by 3 posts with I believe glass floral tops. There's small holes at either side near top/point possibly used for hanging at one point. The easel is placed so that you could set on table with one of the two straight edges flat on table, which looks a bit odd. I was thinking perhaps an old travel shaving mirror, something like that? Any input would be great, thanks! IMG_9240.JPG IMG_9239.JPG IMG_9244.JPG IMG_9243.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Very strange. The way those knob things stand away from the mirror makes me think there's more to this. Maybe the knobs held something so that it could be displayed.

3. R Ewing

R Ewing EclecticMomsAttic

There's a bit of "give" between the mirror and the wood so maybe the posts have loosened just a tad over the years?

Bronwen likes this.
  4. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

I get the impression that it is a side mirror of a larger dressing table mirror that some one has repurposed with the hinge.

Any Jewelry, blooey and Bronwen like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree. There would have been one of these on either side of the larger dressing table mirror.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted