Fancy, old letter openers

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Atlantic Jim, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Atlantic Jim

Atlantic Jim Active Member

This box lot will be going up for auction soon and im inclined to grab it. I'd love to know the name and purpose of the item under the letter openers. See a IMG_20190613_124548199-1322x1763.jpg IMG_20190613_124603281-1322x1763.jpg anything of value or interest in these? Unfortunately I couldn't open the tapestry but I think it had Hebrew writing

kyratango and judy like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Three of them are Spanish. If the one with the sabre hilt at the top is genuine Toledo, with real hammered gold in blackened steel, it has some value, but not very much. The photo is small, but it looks real. You can check ebay for Toledo letter opener, and look for the ones with real gold, not the fake stamped junk.
    I don't know about the Spanish sword ones.

The Israeli one is a bit too souvenirish to have any value.

That big thing is an inkwell holder, missing one lid.

Those tapestries have some value, if in good condition. Which you couldn't see.:(

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    kyratango, Atlantic Jim and judy like this.
  3. Atlantic Jim

As always great Intel
    Now for the bad news.. our area had a crazy flash floods and I am pretty certain all those items were left outside

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Oh no! Are you ok?

You can forget about the tapestry. The other items should have survived, if anyone can locate them, that is.

I now have visions of an innocent garden gnome having been speared by one of the letter openers.:nailbiting:

SBSVC, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  5. Atlantic Jim

Thanks yes we had no issues. Just a few crazy weather alarms and a whole lot of rain. Lol for the gnome

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Good!:)

kyratango likes this.