Farm Bell

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by NYDave583, Oct 4, 2020.

1. NYDave583

NYDave583 New Member

I finally finished "restoring" my old farm bell. Its a Gould's Manufacturing CO Seneca Falls NY. [I do not know the manufacturing year, I wish I did!] Little history it was at one point a school bell at a school in Pennsylvania. It was then bought by someone who had it on their property til I purchased it. It was originally red. When I filed old the old black paint I came across the red. I did end up re painting it black again. I filed it down used an etching primer and then put 3 coats of Enmal paint. It was badly rusting so I wanted to preserve it to last longer.

I purchased a 10 foot wood post and installed it about 2.5 feet into the ground with packed dirt. I stained it and then used a bracket from the bell. Then I connected the upright to the bracket and used 3 - 5/16 x3 inch galveinized lag screws. The bottom screw I got about 3/4 into the wood. I can't get it in anymore and the impact drill was starting to strip the head. So I couldn't get it in anymore than that.

It came out great I thing. I just hope it really holds up on the post. I wish I could figure a way to post a picture. Says it's too big.

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi @NYDave583....here's some help on getting images posted on this site and into these posts!!!

For Future reference, when posting images:

Each image MUST be UNDER 1 MB....
    there are instructions on site here on how to reduce the size of your image, if that is the problem......you are allowed up to 10 images per post!!! Here are some links to the instructions:

If on the computer:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/posting-a-thread-and-uploading-pictures.15990/

If on an iPhone:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/resizing-photos-on-i-phone.35097/

And if on an Android phone:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/using-an-android-phone-for-pics-on-antiquers.41709/

Hope it helps!!!!

NYDave583 likes this.
  3. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Cement it in the ground will protect the post from water damage - OH, and "filed" ??

4. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

You have to drill a smaller hole then the threads of the screw first - that way you have room for the wood to expand but still bite the screw

5. NYDave583

NYDave583 New Member

I did do a pilot hole. How ever the bracket that connects to the Upright wasn't touching the wood like it originally did.

6. NYDave583

NYDave583 New Member

I did not concrete it. The lumbar yard stated that if I went at least 2 feet deep I wouldn't have to concrete it. He said that would more if I was using it for a fence. I am literally new to this and I don't know any better.

Draft saved Draft deleted