faux amber filigree brooch help

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by IvaPan, Dec 2, 2022.

1. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Hi folks,
    Some time ago I bought this brooch, faux amber with inclusions and filigree mount. No marks. Will be grateful for any opinion about age and origin. Thank you!
    USSR brooch2.jpg USSR brooch3.jpg USSR brooch1.jpg USSR brooch4.jpg

Figtree3 and KSW like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I don't think that's faux amber...I think it's called something else...:confused::wideyed:

Any Jewelry and IvaPan like this.
  3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Possibly reconstituted? I'm no good at identifying amber. Maybe others will have thoughts.

IvaPan likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Did you buy that UV light? ;)

First thought is it's between the wars and silver.

Figtree3 and IvaPan like this.
  5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Maybe its lucite ?

komokwa likes this.
  6. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thank you, guys, for your time and help! I thought it was faux as I red that natural amber with such orderly and beautiful inclusions would be expensive, and I bought it cheap. And I also red that faux amber was made from plastic materials and insects or leaves (like in this case) were included in it to resemble real amber. But I am no expert.
    About UV, long story, it turns out a scarce thing in shops here, finally I bought something but it seems not very appropriate as it is a pointer and I am not sure it can do the job. The brooch does appear to glow under it but I am not sure. I will order online a proper flashlight but it takes some time as local merchants are mostly out of stock and international ones do not always ship to my country. Plus there are customs duties if outside EU which additionally complicates things as customs clearance is needed.
    So I am nuts :) I will also order a set for silver testing from a local provider..
    A, the brooch is rather heavy, another mark of faux amber but it can be the metal cladding which is quite thick.
    Ownedbythebear, thank you! It is very probable to be from that period, as for silver, I will test after getting the acid.
    I also think it is handmade, the filigree elements are not uniform.
    What is "reconstituted"? Sorry for the stupid question. Edit: found it, it well can be as it has some glow even at my UV pointer torch (don't know if this is the right word, it emits very focused light, like e dot).

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    Figtree3 likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks like amber coloured resin with a dried flower and leaves inside. The pin being attached to the cabochon itself also points to regular resin (plastic).

In the early 70s I had a pendant and bracelet with reddish resin cabochons with dried flowers.
    People also used to make similar cabochons at home. I probably bought my set at a crafts fair.

IvaPan, Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

some here suggest buying a gold testing kit....to also use on silver.....becuse it can last longer and also give good results...

just a thought...;)

IvaPan and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

A dried flower in resin cabochon is not regarded as faux amber btw, even if it is amber coloured.
    Faux amber is made to imitate amber, often used for international trade (beads), whereas with these dried flower pieces the emphasis is on the flowers.

IvaPan, Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

From a German seller who ships to Bulgaria. Inside the EU, so no customs clearance costs::)
    https://www.ebay.nl/itm/314145304672?hash=item492484f060:g:yz0AAOSwc7hjgEqr&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA4C6V5ILI83LSapvsSq3GByTAbDAA1HH0k+IpDfqIJMwnccYfrrPs8lDtbHzGMeRm09EwonbENawz3c/q2nbii5zd5CqE1DVqTpiHGb+iY+uBTYMipRYh5ZVZhRANq1w+cF8Zxydmi392zK1Im5DafVBXrOy3L3MfrJt+o1hNgn5NZPyP2zyQ0G+u9fmnyI7UJ8J6SBynAbT1yPZBxZ42XDtnnALjt/BeivUMdjahiVxNmXvQ46UUa/VKbfDtqNFuL+emeTHzgnFprzI2WSxf1Do7nPPwOfmvqJwI39CDOfH+|tkp:Bk9SR86L9YebYQ#shpCntId

There could be cheaper ones, this was just a quick search.

IvaPan likes this.
  11. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thank you, Any, Komokwa!
    I take notice of what you said, Any, thank you very much! I mistakenly thought everything that is amber coloured is done with the purpose to imitate amber (also the inclusions, as amber is known to have these) and so it is "faux amber". And how is this called, is there a specific term or it is just descriptive, e.g. "an amber coloured raisin brooch with inserted dried leaves"?
    Thanks also for the link, I will get to solve the issue with the UV thing.

B.t.w., I see only dry autumn leaves, no flowers, as if a drop of tree raisin enclosed parts of tree leaves and then hardened with time, thus imitating the real amber formation but quick and human-made, so to say. But I guess it is me not looking attentive enough.

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

I would say "a silvertone filigree brooch inlaid with a dried flower in resin cabochon, amber colour".

Good luck with the UV light.:)

komokwa and IvaPan like this.
  13. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thanks, Any, you are a blessing! Much obliged!

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted