Featured Faux Fraktur: Too Good To Be True

Discussion in 'Art' started by James Conrad, Dec 13, 2019.

1. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Interesting article by Lisa Minardi ( scholar on pennsylvania german objects) on fake Fraktur.
    Curiously, I don't think i have ever seen a thread on this art form in here but it's something i collect & follow with interest.
    Fraktur (broken letters/script) is a highly artistic and elaborate illuminated folk art created by the pennsylvania germans, named after the Fraktur script associated with it. Most Fraktur were created between 1740 and 1860.
    https://www.incollect.com/articles/faux-fraktur

Fake
    0011r4.png
    Real
    0021r.png

2. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Thanks for posting, what an interesting read!

3. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Ditto on the thanks. Very interesting and just reinforces my “buy what (I think) I really know”. On the other hand, the great museums of the world have all been duped too on an occasional piece.

judy, Christmasjoy, lloyd249 and 2 others like this.
  4. James Conrad

Indeed, most museums have entire rooms filled with fake objects, part of the deal and no getting around it.

judy, reader and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Fascinating read James!! Thanks for the article!!!

6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Thanks, James!

reader and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. James Conrad

Antique Fraktur can get pricey in a hurry, hence the "Faux" Fraktur, wherever there's major dollars involved, scammers follow. Some early pieces can fetch 100k or more, it's why i pretty much stick with contemporary fraktur, no issues with fraud.
    There are some very talented people that carry on this tradition today.

Some rather famous early Fraktur

George & Lady Washington
    D2016-JBC-0531-0020_R2r.jpg
    Lady Rider/ Christie's
    christies1116-30.jpg
    ygwhorsebk.jpg FR-98-001.jpg
    fig00912 (1)r.jpg

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    patd8643, judy, reader and 1 other person like this.
  8. James Conrad

And, as if on cue, this arrives this morning in my email box.
    " Rare and important: This is the 26th example of Sussel-Washington fraktur, just discovered and identified."
    We don't know who this artist was, he/she gets their name from the Arthur Sussel Collection & the fraktur of george & martha washington. He operated in Berks county PA in 1770-1780s and is the most famous & valuable american Fraktur artist.
    Is this example real? I dunno but, If it is a genuine Sussel-Washington Fraktur, this estimate of 20k-25k is way low, it'll go for twice that or more.
    https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/79454347_fraktur-woman-with-cat-on-leash

Woman with Cat on Leash

79454347_1_x.jpg

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    Bakersgma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted