Featured Faux Stained Glass questions

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Roaring20s, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

The Art Nouveau panel in my fire screen is a faux stained glass. I’ve seen other brass and glass fire screens like this, having leaded glass. The only example I’ve found matching this type of glass is attached. It must be by the same manufacturer, as it has a patent etched into it at the bottom. The following link states 25501 is the patent number. Mine is 25591. This leads me to speculate that the auction-house made a typographical error and the patent is for the manufacturing process. I guess it could be a different patent for the design, but I lean to it being a typo.

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/art-nouveau-brass-fire-screen-inset-with-a-staine-EX89SKULWR#

This too is similar, with no mention of a patent.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/...d8bafc-83c5-4734-a157-a44500626883#lotDetails

I have not found the same frame or glass design, thus far.

Overall size is 18” x 30”.

Here’s mine…

FS.01.JPG FS.06.JPG FS.07.JPG FS.02.JPG

I assume the clear glass is moulded with the frosted area, then the color areas are filled with granular glass and fired. The granular color is still rough to the touch. All of this was done on the backside. The front is one smooth surface with a beveled edge. The outlines of the artwork are clear, as is the glass beyond the outer edges of the frosted background.

It may have been introduced as a manufacturing effort to reduce the cost of leaded glass. Since I do not see more of this method, perhaps it did not save enough? I think it adds a modern touch. More art glass, than glass art.

Questions:
    Does anyone know what this process is called?
    What company(ies) use this technique?
    English made?

Side note:
    I like that the feet swivel for flat storage.

FS.04.JPG
    FS.05.JPG

Thanks,
    James.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Is the entire frosted area recessed? Could be sandblasted.

Roaring20s, i need help and KSW like this.
  3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Flowers look like harebells or bluebells?

4. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

It appears to have been machine-carved (on the back) using a laser-cutter or possibly a water assisted power-cutter. Are you certain the colour sections are glass (they may not be?)

You would find out more about it by researching the patent No.

Patent Search Result (patentbuddy.com)

I've found it on the above link. Like I suggested, the panel as been laser cut, by a German manufacturer. Scroll down and you will see the Company patent.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    Figtree3 likes this.
  5. Roaring20s

Good point. The outer frosted perimeter is just a tad lower than the clear glass. The portion around the design is much deeper.

6. Roaring20s

By the shape, I vote Harebells.
    harebell.jpg

KSW likes this.
  7. Roaring20s

Finding patent information is tricky. So, I'm not onboard with it being a modern process.

KSW likes this.
  8. ritzyvintage

The design appears too deep to have been produced by sand-blasting. It is also very crisp & precise. It is possible it was press-moulded and allowed to cool before the colours were added in a similar method to pate de verre, but using coarser particles of glass, and fusing the entire piece in a kiln... the blended/subtle colour change would suggest this, unless it was stained by hand)
    That it has a patent, also suggests the making process is protected, and the date of the patent will date the piece with certainty.

Roaring20s likes this.
  9. ritzyvintage

Just to add: The patent probably protects the process of fusing the 'stipple-like' glass effect to the panel. The glass-type could also be borosilicate (rather than soda glass) and this would require a higher heat to fuse the glass whilst avoiding cracks etc. when the fire screen is in use. Borosilicate has a much higher melting temperature in much the same way as PYREX does. It can cope with sudden alterations of heat from cold to red-hot with no problem! Unlike an ordinary glass vase can for example.

Roaring20s likes this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Maybe the search has expired by now, but when I went to the link I just got a search bar. I typed in 25591 but all results started with those numbers but also included further numbers.

ritzyvintage likes this.
  11. David Clarke

David Clarke New Member

Hello there - I was just this evening looking at mine and thinking about sticking it on ebay! It has the 25591 patent and pretty similar - but they obviously made various frame and glass styles. Mine has bevelled plan glass to the front and the etched glass face is inside, so smooth at the back too. Sadly I can't work out how to attach a photo!

12. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Here’s instructions

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/making-a-post-and-uploading-pictures.16038/

13. David Clarke

David Clarke New Member

Thank you moderator! Now with photo! IMG_6996.jpg

KSW, Bakersgma, Figtree3 and 3 others like this.
  14. Roaring20s

I like it! :)

Now we know about the patent number.

Thanks for posting it!

KSW and i need help like this.
  15. David Clarke

David Clarke New Member

All we need to know now is what it is!!

Draft saved Draft deleted