Featured Few things I am clueless about xxx

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by BoudiccaJones, Aug 17, 2018.

1. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

Hi all x x
    This wooden thing is approx 4 inches, don't know what it is, just a wooden statue thing?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The box is cute. Found it at booty at a house clearance stall,the silvery coloured metal had the top strip missing and I managed to find it rolled up in the bottom of one of his many many boxes! Unrolled it and it fitted perfectly. It has blue leather underneath x x
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks all x x xx

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Nice that you found the metal strip. My guess is North Africa.

The wooden thing looks very interesting. Looks like a kind of sitting tribal birdman, with one knee raised. Nice age. I like it. But no real clue as yet. @komokwa?

3. BoudiccaJones

Thank you AJ x x x
    The wooden thing has a nice patina,looks as if it's been held as the wear is in certan parts? x x

4. Any Jewelry

Maybe carried as a talisman in a pouch or pocket, and handled a lot? The patina is really nice and genuine.

5. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Boud, I like ‘em both, esp first one, despite my art-ignorance. Really like first one, to me, an appealing work of art, it’d fit right into the Hirshhorn Museum on the National Mall, IMHIO. In my humble ignorant opinion.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  6. BoudiccaJones

They both appealed to me but I must confess: I am quite easy to please. If something looks old and it's cheap THEN TIS MINE!!!

Fid, Tanya, Christmasjoy and 4 others like this.
  7. springfld.arsenal

Old and cheap, perfect description of me, guess I’m yours! :vulcan:

8. BoudiccaJones

hahha that made me lol. We could be a match made in heaven :D

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Wee tin looks pewter with a Ruskin Cabochon.

Jivvy and BoudiccaJones like this.
  10. springfld.arsenal

(Gasp!). Is THAT what it is used for?

11. BoudiccaJones

Thanks my Mrs. B, off to look x xxxxxxx

12. BoudiccaJones

You're on fire, you! Made my face ache from smiling :D

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I like your take on it......
    it does show some nice craftsmanship & artistry .....but anything I'd add would just be a guess......:sorry:

14. BoudiccaJones

15. Any Jewelry

Seems to be traditional to a part of Africa. There is also one in the museum of anthropology in Luanda, Angola. I can't find a photo if it.
    And I don't know why they were originally made. There is a webshop which rather pretentiously describes their 'thinkers' as:
    "Art that gives you more than just a pretty picture. This hand-carved 'Thinker' statue gives you the cultural richness of Senegal..."
    Which implies a lot, but tells us nothing at all.:banghead:
    None of them are as nice as yours, I think. And I haven't seen one with that nice patina. That is genuine, and if any thinker has 'richness', cultural or otherwise, it is yours, imo.:)

i need help and BoudiccaJones like this.
  16. BoudiccaJones

He really DOES feel nice. He has a lovely feel. He's really tactile, he fits into my hand perfectly.

Never would I have sussed this as *after Rodin*. I would not have thought of this as The Thinker! I can ( sort of) see it now...if I squint.
    I like him, he can stay...again, many many thanks to my lovely friends here <3 xxx

komokwa, i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted