Figural Cast Iron Salesman Sample Stove?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Jasper, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Jasper

Jasper Member

Is this a salesman sample stove? Anyone know anything about it?
    [​IMG]

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

What did it say on the other side of the tag?

I don't know about this kid of thing, but my first thought was it is a figure of a coal burning hearth, not a stove. A stove would have some place to put pots and pans.

lauragarnet likes this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

What is the size?? Obviously when you ask is it a 'salesman's sample' it must be small, but how small.......some are VERY collectable!!!! I've never seen one like this before!!! And yes, it looks to be more like a fireplace 'insert'..... more details please!!!!!!!!

lauragarnet likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

"Salesman's sample" is one of the most misused terms in antiques. Just because an item is "small" does not make it one.

This is rather oddly elaborate for something that a salesman would carry around for the purpose of selling multiples to various retailers (which is, after all, the very purpose of a true "sample.")

5. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

I lightened the photo so it more of the detail shows.

image.jpg

lauragarnet and yourturntoloveit like this.
  6. Jasper

Jasper Member

Ok it's not a sample. I only had the photo to go by before. It's a facade. About a foot tall by a couple inches thick. Likely an insert as stated. Would like to know more

lauragarnet likes this.
  7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Hmmm , being a foot tall sorta rules out dollhouse item , wich was my first reaction . I wouldnt rule out salesman sample as of yet , I cant imagine what else it could be for .

lauragarnet likes this.
  8. Bakersgma

That tag must be huge if the item is a foot tall.

lauragarnet likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

uuuh, it's a fireplace , & the double eagle on the mantle & the large crest on top should suggest were it came from.

IMHO..

10. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Surely it's a decorative item... right? Door-stop? Burgler-whacker?

Bakersgma and Ladybranch like this.
  11. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Aquitaine and Bakersgma like this.
  12. Bakersgma

Good job, you two!

I knew the statues didn't look right (and don't fit on the base the OP's has.)

13. Ladybranch

I was hoping to ID the country of origin because of the double headed eagle on the front of the mantle. Russia and many Gernan states as well as Austria, Serbia, Croatia, etc... use and/or used that symbol. Usually there is a crown above the heads or a crown on each head. I can't make out the coat-of-arms on the top of the mantle to even venture a guess as to who, what or where.

--- Susan

komokwa likes this.
  14. komokwa

Well I though those would help, ......

15. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

16. Ladybranch

That coat-of-arms upon the mantle is a unique one with a garter creating a circle for the elements surrounded with a ribbon type mantle and a lion and a eagle or a griffin supporters. It has a crown crest. I'm not up on heraldry as to country of origins though with the garter it might imply the Order of the Garter. I suspect it is a fantasy coat-of-arms and at this point the origins or maker is not important unless someone in Great Britain or of continental Europe might recognize it.

Question to our British members: What is the correct way to call one living in Great Britain? We in The United States refer to ourselves as Americans (though I think some Canadians resent this for they are really Americans also), Canada folk as Canadians, France as French, Spain as Spanish, and so forth and so on. I believe using the name Britisher is considered bad form and Brit is slang and not welcomed by many.

--- Susan

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  17. komokwa

English, Welsh, Irish, Scottish......I think those are the best way to go for those in the UK.

Oh, & if a Brit calls you a Yank.....u can tell him to sod off !!! :hilarious:

Plus, we Canadians call you Americans......the Mexicans still call you Yankees ....I think.:inpain:
    It's just that we are all North Americans.:)

As for the coat of arms.....it may well just be fantasy as you've mentioned.

18. Ladybranch

Thank you, komo! I was hoping for a collective name for one living in GB. As for being called a Yank, it doesn't bother me because I'm originally from New England; however, it can really upset a die hard Southerner to be called a Yank. Back in the late 1970s, my parents lived in Ontario for a few years. While there a good friend of my mother's from Mississippi visited. My mother took her to club and church gatherings. Several times the friend was called "another Yank..." Boy, this "bent her out of shape" because Southerns called northerners "Yankees," a throw back to the Civil War. I suspect Mexicans call us "Yanks," but no doubt some still say "Gringos."

Yankee comes from the song Yankee Doodle thats dates before the American Revolution. I think??? during the French and Indian wars British military officers sang it to make fun of disheveled simpleton American/colonial militia they were trying to lead??

--- Susan

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    SBSVC likes this.
  19. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

For the most part, we call New Englanders Yanquis... other Caucasian Americans are Anglos... Gringos if we're not happy with you... Blacks are Black... WE are Latinos, Hispanics, or among ourselves, La Rasa. Those of us who are proud of our heritage often just call ourselves Mexicans. Mexicans are also Mexicans! Canadians are Canadians. Spaniards are Spaniards... the English, Scottish, Welsh, and other English-speaking places over there are all "English", pretty much. Sorry! Well, Australia is familiar enough to us in order for them to be Australian, since we know about Mel Gibson. Russians are Russians... we've seen them played in movies. All of the above are when we're speaking English to each other or Anglos/etc. In Spanish, it's a whole 'nuther thing. Oh, and Hawaiians are Hawaiians, not Anglos, regardless of race or culture. As for all the other mysterious countries around the world, they're "people from foreign countries". But... I myself know that Makanudo is from Serbia... Hey, Mr. Mak... are you Serbian or a Serb, please?

20. komokwa

Lady, I think you're looking for British.......but those days are numbered.

Draft saved Draft deleted