Featured Figures... 1930's? Signed, kind of. Paper-like construction.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Lucille.b, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Is there a name or company for these kind of figures? Little bits of what look like a signature on the back of each, see pics.

Construction is an interesting material, almost paper-like. German, maybe?

Thanks for taking a look.

peop3.jpg peop4.jpg peop5.jpg peop6.jpg peop3.jpg

aap.jpg

2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

neat pieces! Paper mache, maybe Italy, like Fontanini nativity pieces:)
    the partial mark might be DEP for Depose

3. Lucille.b

Good suggestion, Cx. Using your keywords, found a Fontanini nativity figure with a very similar base. Thanks!

judy, Pat P, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  4. Lucille.b

5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

lol, I'm sorting through a tub of about 40 Fontanini nativity pieces:)

7. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I recently sold a papier mache nativity camel - it still had the original 59¢ price
    written in pencil on the bottom!

img0 (3).jpg
    img0 (4).jpg

I think mine was from the 1950's.

judy, Christmasjoy, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  8. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

The remind me a little of some mid-century dollhouse figures my sister and I had. These figures look to be about the right size... I wonder if kids used them with dollhouses?

9. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Pat, if they were the right size, I don't see why not! Some of the ones Lucille showed don't exactly "fit" with the traditional nativity - maybe they made them for "play" purposes, as well?

Lucille.b, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  10. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

And if they weren't meant to be played with, I bet they were anyway... unless placed out of reach of little hands.

Lucille.b, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  11. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Nice set !!! ... Joy.

Lucille.b, judy and i need help like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I love them, we used to have a Provençal nativity set with similar figures, about 100 of them. It included houses, village scenes, a windmill, a well. The nativity scene itself was drowned by the other figures.
    No, they were never meant to play with.:eek: One doesn't play with the Lord and associates.:angelic::playful:

13. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

The present day Fontanini sets are like this as well. I think the only limit to what figures you add to your set is how much room you have to work with in your home.

14. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Over the course of time, our Nativity scene evolved, Considerably. Almost everything was to scale, and ecumenical, catholic, and in today-speak, very PC.

Along with the usual, there were swans and ducks on a silver pond (mirror), Paddington Bear, the 7 Japanese Gods, a leprechuan or two, a lovely unicorn, a set of penguins, a small smiling Buddha, a very bright pink Mama pig and her three babies, Eeyore, etc., etc.

I bought my favorite piece at the UN gift shop. With the Baby in the middle facing out, and Joseph and Mary on either side -- at the head of the crib was a mennorah (with white birthday candles), guarded by two white angels.

:)

15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have a 36 piece set made by Lenox. Since it all white porcelain it looks like a set made of Blanc de Chine. I have added 7 more pieces of old Parisian to the set plus some pieces that I cast myself out of plaster. I love finding more pieces for sale at yard sales but everyone down here all have the brightly colored pieces. rarely find a pure white piece.
    Hi Silver your's sounds wonderful also.
    greg

16. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Ours too. Starting with a traditional grouping inherited from my wife's parents, additional animals began to arrive, supplementing the original ox, donkey, camel, and sheep. Now we have sea otters, orcas, a red panda, a dinosaur, dogs, cats, goats, birds, an anteater, duck-billed platypus, hedgehogs, a stingray....

17. Lucille.b

Do you want to make that 43? :wacky:

Love how this thread has played out. Can just imagine some of these nativity scenes with the extra characters. Lovely!

Looking back at the sale where I got these, I do believe they were part of a nativity set, and these 3 got left behind. I purchased them on the final day of the sale. In the panic of the first minutes of this sale (and trust me, it was panic-city!) in a box close to where I later got these, was a nativity set mixed in with a bunch of Christmas clutter. I hesitated and thought about digging them all out since they had a cool look, but nativity stuff in general sometimes doesn't sell super high, esp. compared to what might be found elsewhere in the early minutes of this particular sale, so did a quick look for any other older Christmas in the box, found two things (posting later) and left to inspect other rooms. There was so much at this sale, unreal.

I even went back on day 2 AND day 3. I found myself sort of regretting passing on the nativity (but then I wouldn't have gotten the antique sleigh bells --already on Ebay w/bids).

18. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

antique sleigh bells sound great and you'll probably do better than the nativity set:)

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  19. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

Oh , I remember I broke one of the Wiseman's heads off and my Dad glued it back on ....50 years ago. Now I have a 3 year old son....and my parents are 83.... I will have to introduce him to the nativity this year ....hope it get's him out of his current "I'm a crazy witch, stirring up my brew , what will you give me to put in my stew ?" halloween mood...lol.... He's a pretty good singer for a 3 year 3 month old kiddo !

SBSVC, cxgirl, Pat P and 3 others like this.
  20. Lucille.b

If your son is singing well at age 3, a great sign! :)

Can just picture the re-glued Wiseman.

Cute story!

Pat P likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted