Featured Figurine Porcelain Lamp Meissen/Capodimonte style, help with hallmark!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Eric Tipton, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Eric Tipton

Eric Tipton Member

Hello all, I recently acquired this impressive lamp and I'm trying to find out more about the hallmark on the bottom. It has black crossed swords with the letter M underneath, and I'm guessing it is not Meissen, as it does not line up with their marks, but it does have a Capodimonte style to it. I also don't know if the lamp is new or old...the plugs are new, and the mark looks new, but I'm not sure. Can anyone identify this mark? Thank you! rsz_20190216_174413.jpg rsz_20190216_175234.jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

That is an absolutely lovely lamp.

The mark appears to be overglaze, rather than under. So I'm going to guess that it is the mark of the importer. Probably from Japan, although it could be German. Be aware this is only my opinion.

Could we see a picture of the cord? I'm guessing it is 1960s.

Be sure to check back at different times. People come and go at all hours of the day.

Actually that should be the Plug, not cord.

3. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

It looks too beautifully DELICATE to be Capodimonte .. LOVE IT !!! .. Joy. :)

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, Eric.

5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

6. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

WELCOME Eric !!!! ... Joy. :)

Eric Tipton and i need help like this.
  7. Eric Tipton

Eric Tipton Member

Thank you so much Clutter! I didn't think of the mark being over the glaze, which it totally is, so that make's a lot of sense. Wow, thank you for all the Welcome's! I can't believe I've never used this forum before, but definitely plan to more often! I was hoping it wasn't from Japan, but I've also never seen such good quality from Japan either, so maybe it does still have good value.

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Well that certainly looks like a newer socket. The wiring also looks new. Have you any suspicion that this could have been rewired?

I don't know what to tell you. I would have guessed a 1960s repro of an older style.
    @verybrad

[​IMG]

Christmasjoy and Eric Tipton like this.
  9. Eric Tipton

Eric Tipton Member

Yeah, I honestly wasn't sure if it was rewired or not. I think I will just have to go with 1960's or later, and made of good quality. Thanks for the help! If anyone knows any more definitely let me know :)

Draft saved Draft deleted