Featured filigree bracelet watch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Nick72, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Nick72

Nick72 Well-Known Member

This caught my eye so had to have it...
    Hard to find a whole lot of info, I would think 1910/1920 but could be off by a bit but that period would make sense to me.
    The mechanism of the watch itself is a Montrose Calibre 650 " 15 Jewels, serial number i think 59886.
    It works, gave it a crank, ticks constantly but seems to need adjustments, also i cannot change the time on it...kind of fragile and don't want to try my luck with my big fingers.
    The bracelet is very ornate as you can see, there is a Logo B & Co, you can see this logo is the back cover of the watch but also( had a hard time taking a picture there) On the inside of the Filigree Bracelet.
    The logo has PAT.APLD.FOR under it on the back cover of the watch. ( Patent applied for).
    The B & Co can get confusing, there were some jewelry makers in England and in France with very similar names( Beaume & Co, Baume-Mercier,Baume Longines..Etc) from what i could make out of it.
    My searches for a womens filigree watch bracelet did not return much and nothing that ressembles like the one i picked-up.....I think its cute:angelic:.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    cxgirl, kyratango, BMRT and 12 others like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

3. Nick72

Nick72 Well-Known Member

Here...caught the logo on the innards of the bracelet.

[​IMG]

judy, Any Jewelry, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  4. Nick72

Nick72 Well-Known Member

Closeup of the Montrose Mechanism.

[​IMG]

5. Vintage Maven

Vintage Maven Well-Known Member

That is beautiful. ❤️Maven

judy, i need help and Bronwen like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

cxgirl, kyratango, judy and 6 others like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Is this because the stem will not pull out or because when you turn the stem, the hands don't move?

judy, Nick72, kyratango and 1 other person like this.
  8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I'd say the bracelet and watch are from the 1920's, pre WW1 wristwatches were quite a bit different in construction. The marcasite style is very roaring 20's too ....not sure I'd describe the band as filigree, it is delicate but not what I would describe as filigree. It looks lost wax cast to me, not built up from wirework.

Gus Tuason, judy, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The band is die struck and filigree is used for this type of metal work for bracelets,pendants,bar pins,etc.

judy, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's lovely !

judy, Nick72, kyratango and 1 other person like this.
  11. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Isn't filigree wirework?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

:banghead::banghead::banghead:
    this is very typically assembled by a jeweller or import company in the 1920s or even 1930s with parts that do most probably not come from the same production. the ébauches and the rest - wheels, face and the whole kit'n'kaboodle - where imported separately to circumvent taxes and tarrifs.
    the value of it is certainly the ensemble and not the clockwork. the name Montrose was used time and again by at least 7 companies, amongst them also NY and Canadian import companies.

14. Nick72

Nick72 Well-Known Member

Hello Bronwen, cannot pull out the stem and dont want to chance it to much:facepalm:

15. Nick72

Nick72 Well-Known Member

Good day Blooey, yes you are right...i should of said "Style" because it ain't really filigree. More like a casting i would think.

16. Nick72

Nick72 Well-Known Member

Hello Bakersgma, checked the page but not that makers stamp at all, i will try to draw it up, snap and post it later on today. Cheers.

EDIT.....damn i did not see the first one LOL, it is absolutely it...the Makers mark is exact!! you Rock ;)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    Bakersgma and Bronwen like this.
  17. Nick72

Nick72 Well-Known Member

Great Info Fid...i knew this was probably not worth much, picked-it up because it had strong appeal and could not pass it for a mere 27$Ca at auction ;)

18. Nick72

Nick72 Well-Known Member

Here is the makers mark on the back casing of the watch.

[​IMG]

19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Of course you did, it is beautiful!

Regarding filigree, to me filigree is handmade wirework only, this is open work to me. But I am just an old stick-in-the-mud from a country that has a long history of filigree and cannetille.;)

Nick72 likes this.
  20. Nick72

Nick72 Well-Known Member

I take you opinion as gold any day Any...for an old stick in the.mud you sure shine very brightly;)

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted