Featured Filigree pendant

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ashley Felton, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Ashley Felton

Ashley Felton Well-Known Member

F3E1538E-4764-4589-B362-5F710EF38438.jpeg 99F28216-E330-4280-9BAE-E2C409AC6EEE.jpeg 4B85CC13-484E-4909-A828-80B7FE6F6A82.jpeg so I came across this pendant and was wondering if anyone can help me out with a date? Artist? Anything? I believe it says “silver Nigeria”

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

3. Daisy1900

Daisy1900 Member

looks like Berber work. Some live in Nigeria.
    Recent work and as marked "Nigeria", probably a production for "export" or tourists.
    I like it !

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think this is native Nigerian, they have a long history of filigree making.
    Although filigree styles are difficult to differentiate between, this doesn't look like Berber or Moorish work to me. The wire arrangement in the top segment is not Maghreb imo.

Filigree was probably introduced by Middle Eastern traders to both Nigeria and the Maghreb (North Africa) during different times in history. In the Maghreb it is more likely to have been during the Phoenician period. In Nigeria slightly later, but there were already important trade routes before the introduction of Islam in Nigeria.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    kyratango, Daisy1900, BMRT and 5 others like this.
  5. Daisy1900

Daisy1900 Member

Thanks and yes, you are absolutely right :) I went through my filigree brooches this morning and North African work is indeed quite different.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Filigree is probably the most difficult jewellery to connect to a location. It is made just about all over the world, and with it being 'just' wire and open space, there is not much to go by. I love it though, and have pieces from different countries, which helps a bit when trying to find the origin of new pieces.
    I love Maghreb jewellery too.:)

Draft saved Draft deleted