Filigree tray and ???

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Bookahtoo, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Some of you may remember me posting this on the ebay boards years ago. I got some good information then, but I'm hoping with people from all over the world I might get a better idea of where it was made and what the smaller items are for.
    It isn't marked, and justsue said then it may or may not be silver. I have had it tested since and it is not sterling, but I don't know if it has any silver content(a friend took it to his jeweler and had it tested for me).

Can anyone tell me where it was made, and what the smaller items are? I'm thinking somewhere in the Middle East and the larger of the four items are coffee cup holders.

smallDSCN0308.JPG
    smallDSCN0311.JPG
    smallDSCN0312.JPG
    smallDSCN0315.JPG
    smallDSCN0313.JPG

2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Since the little ones have handles, possibly espresso or cappuccino cup holders?

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I always associated that filigree style with the middle east as well. The smaller ones could be candleholders. It may not be sterling,but it very well could be 800.

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I agree with Johnny.
    greg

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Turkish wouldn't surprise me. The metal coffee cup holders would fit; Turks like those little bitty cups of rocket fuel. The cups need some glass liners and off you'd go.

6. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

This other thread started me thinking and having spent a few moments becoming a Google-Certified-Expert on such things (knowing nothing about them 45 minutes ago), I think you may need to look toward Portugal, Italy, and then possibly India (Karimnagar silver filigree is quite beautiful, but it seems a much more formal style of work than your piece) .

Portugal is my current Google-Certified-Expert favorite.

At one point I thought I had something even if it was slightly clumsy.

Turned out to be a dollhouse set (identified by ebay seller as Portuguese).

temp01.jpg

7. Jivvy

argh... this landed at a 404 error page. FWIW, it was on an auction site for Spain.

temp01.jpg

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced on Portuguese, shapes all wrong. Funnily enough, I bought my BFF one of the supposedly doll size ones a few years back.

9. Jivvy

As a Google-Certified-Expert, I cannot be dissuaded from my position, but at the same time have already pushed past the bounds of my knowledge so I must find some way to dig my heels in without actually adding new information or saying anything of importance.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  10. Bookahtoo

:D

Well I do appreciate your efforts Jivvy. You're finding more than I am.

scoutshouse, Christmasjoy and Jivvy like this.
  11. Jivvy

12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:hilarious::hilarious:

I'm with obb, not Portuguese. Portuguese filigree is more refined, it is among the top countries of quality filigree manufacturing. Filigree making is finnicky work, and even though it is hard to match the finesse of Portuguese and Javanese craftspeople, it is always amazing.

I think it could be Turkish, with the small floral holders meant for small coffee glasses like in the last photo Jivvy posted. The bigger holders could be for glass sweets containers, like Turkish delight.

13. Bookahtoo

Thank you anyjewelry.

scoutshouse, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  14. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

As do I :) :hilarious::hilarious::woot:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:D:hilarious: