Featured Filkorn Tibor (aka T Korn): Oil on wood panel, research questions

Discussion in 'Art' started by Slykitty65, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Slykitty65

Slykitty65 Active Member

I picked this gem at a thrift store and recognized that it was an oil on wood panel, an extremely heavy frame, all intact and delicately painted. The signature was hard to read under the dark pigment, magnified It reads Filkorn in the lower right where he is known to sign. It has what looks like a tiny chip in the paint or sealant toward the center... hard to tell and I don't want to mess with it. Looks like it may have gone through some rough handling maybe at the thrift store?

Artist Search found Filkorn Tibor (1947-2009) was a poor artist from Kolsed Hungary who started out painting landscape, then still life toward the end of his career which is when he painted these musical instrument paintings on wood panels. He did several Exhibitions across the continent, with the last being in New York in 1999. The back of the board in framing area has original sales or auction stickers, his name and the name "Camille" Sept 11, 2006. Not sure if that is the name of the painting or its last auction house or gallery due to the date and because it is cleaner and newer then the ones that say Filkorn which maybe was from the original Exhibition? Under the stickers is also painted gold like the frame and is marked J/1862... not sure if that's a stock number for the frame?

I have not found this exact painting anywhere I have searched. Only found maybe 10 or so of his others located in Europe and the U.S. in galleries. Found a similar one auctioned in past years from $75. to $241. One with an online estimate of $400-$600 which I could not see the final amount. Found a similar one currently auctioning in Europe for 250,00 GBC... don't know what that translates into in USD?

By the research, his art may be gaining attention. Though it has a small chip, some of the others had cracks in the paint also that I researched. Size is 15" X 17" framed with the board being 8" X 10". I know enough about restoration to NOT touch it, other than brushed all the cobwebs/dust out of the corners with my fine art brush and to glue back down the corner of the label's red star. IMG-5270.jpg IMG-5274.jpg IMG-5273.JPG IMG-5272.jpg IMG-5271.JPG But, it's dirty and I think at one point its gilded frame may have been wiped with "hard water" because it has gained a scaly look to the frame's carved design. Should I contact a curator or gallery like the one in New York where it originally was exhibited?

And to think I almost lost it to a shopper who took it out of my cart and tried to get to the checkout! Guess I'll watch closer who is following me around the store.
    IMG-5270.jpg IMG-5274.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think there's something a bit funky here. All the paintings attributed to Filkorn Tibor don't appear to be by the same hand. Here's an example of what I mean; you can study the brushwork at the link below. (And see that the work, strangely, has two signatures.)

https://www.blackrockgalleries.com/...-2009-oil-on-wood-panel-still-life-86137.html

This one, on eBay, as a different signature entirely. (And, in addition to not posting a photograph of the back, the seller erroneously describes the work as "antique.")

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Fine-Antique-Oil-Painting-Tibor-Filkorn-/223033313591

I think Filkorn Tibor may be a name signed to a type of factory-made still life. (Of course, I may be wrong.)

Debora

29779754_6261804181.jpg

3. Slykitty65

Slykitty65 Active Member

I've seen both signatures on the two different styled Still Lifestyles, and the Arnot Galleries in New York has 14 pictures, musical and fruit still life, his photo with the artwork (not framed?) and a biography listing under their feature Artist listing. They had the most information, the few other private listed pretty much repeated what they said with the exception of one death date of 2010. I did not find any information that suggests he made copies or prints, nor did I find any on my art dealer site searches. Some artist do more than one signature in a lifetime. But the galleries list him under both.
    http://arnotgallery.com/artists/filkorn-tibor-corn/

cxgirl and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I have quite a few made for decorators type paintings that while of good quality, I'm not sure they have value beyond that of a decoration. This one has that look to my eye.

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

From what I can find, there really isn't an Arnot Gallery beyond a web site. And, on their web site, they appear to sell decorative paintings. Although they've been in business (they say) since 1863, take a look at their Facebook page and their Yelp page.

https://www.facebook.com/Arnot-Gallery-New-YorkHerbert-Arnot-Inc-155077847952/

https://www.yelp.com/biz/arnot-gallery-n-y-new-york

Given that and the fact their business address bounces around from West 20th Street to Hell's Kitchen to West 57th Street, I'd be leery about relying on them as a credible source for artist information.

What I think you have is an ornately framed decorative painting which many people would enjoy for its "wow" factor.

Debora

6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

7. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

Painting and frame set off alarm bells here, but here's hoping it's the real deal.

8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I have tried to check variations of the names given and can’t find anything. But double check
    http://www.askart.com/

Christmasjoy and Slykitty65 like this.
  9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

During the late great 80's when excess was the rule rather than the exception in decorating,the demand for paintings like this far exceeded the supply.So China turned out tons of them.I suspect,as others have said,that this is one of those. Its a nice little thing,but no undiscovered masterpiece. :)

Christmasjoy and Slykitty65 like this.
  10. Slykitty65

Slykitty65 Active Member

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Being a painter and graphic artist I have done some of my own paintings and photos printed professionally on paper, metal, and canvas. This paintings texture is unlike those. It's more like my some of my oil and acrylic paintings in texture when thinned down. The backboard held with screws is secondary to the painted panel below.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. Slykitty65

Slykitty65 Active Member

Thanks for the reply, Debora. I have tried calling Arnot Gallery but looks like they are by appointment having their last open house in Sept for the year. I'll send email to see what information they can give me as well as some other leads I am trying to run down.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. Slykitty65

Slykitty65 Active Member

Thank you, I did see those two listings for the Hindman Auctions, 15 days left, the estimate is $200 - 600 and will watch that since it looks similar to mine. The listing is an auction service (go-between) third party from what I read on their services to contact the listed auction provider about purchase issues or questions. I could try contacting them too.

13. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Hi Slykitty,
    Nice find and I am glad you stopped that pesky cart thief. ;) What a wonderful mystery you have uncovered.
    I don't know if you noticed, but the barcodes are different. Camille has one barcode on the main label and the second label has one of the matching narrow barcodes used. Filkorn has a different barcode and 2 of the narrow matching barcodes missing. Can I suggest the painting and the frame were at one time separate? Could there have been a swap by the previous owner or by the original gallery?
    Obviously, the wire hanger and the Z clips on the back are recent additions.
    In picture 2 & 7, can I see traces of paper on the board that might have been a liner or seal? I can't clearly see an outline of where the paper cover would have been, but again perhaps the board and frame were brought together.
    The frame worries me a bit, but it does look to be 80's so it could be of the period. It also looks like the back of the frame has been sprayed black at some stage, but that is at odds with the placement of the Camille label which looks like the original position.
    Is the board plywood or some other wood? You could remove the screw on one of the Z clips to check.
    Sometimes, Chinese copies seem to have a smooth and flat paint finish, but I am seeing a lot of surface texture in your painting which I think is encouraging. The surface could certainly use a clean, which you could do with a cotton tip (Qtip in America) and distilled water.
    Are you planning to resell or keep it?
    Enjoy the research.:)

cxgirl, Slykitty65 and Christmasjoy like this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I should also add that, when I did an internet search for the artist on Google Hungary, nothing local came up. Perhaps you'll have better luck.

Debora

Slykitty65 and Christmasjoy like this.
  15. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I too suspect it could be a product of one of the "replica paintings" dealers. Hand-painted, but not by the supposed artist.

16. Slykitty65

Slykitty65 Active Member

Hi AuDragon,
    You caught the same thing I was wondering about the placement of the labels, the obvious discoloration of the Filkorn label has an over-splash of some kind of sealer used on the backboard that is screwed on. I don't see anyplace where a paper would have been affixed to the back, but the sealer thing is not anything I have seen done on other paintings I have handled. Never had a painting on a panel before to have seen the backs nor was it a topic covered in my college Art courses.
    I will try cleaning it up with the distilled water keeping clear of the chip and get a better photo of it to post. I have several paintings/pictures of which I am researching that due to the size or way it's mounted I don't want to disturb its integrity till I am assured it won't damage the artwork. This painting is one of them. I am planning on selling at some point, they are inventory for a future shop maybe like I once had years back or will go to auction if they are worthy of it. Thanks for the comments, gives me more direction and confirms some of my own questionings.

cxgirl and i need help like this.
  17. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I would NOT use water distilled or not. It is too easy for the water to go to the back and start lifting the paint off the gesso. We used salvia to clean paintings as recommended by the Met museum in NYC. We cleaned 10 panels 10ft high by 3 ft wide. Dap it on about 2 Sq inches wait a couple of minutes and cleaned it off with cotton balls. I know some people used water and did not have a problem but I have seen many examples were it caused a lot of damage. Not immediately but with in a year the paint started to pop off.
    greg

Slykitty65 and i need help like this.
  18. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Hi Greg,
    Yes, you could be right and I know saliva is often recommended, but to date I haven't had a problem with tiny amounts of distilled water with the Q-tip damp, not wet. But my cleaning hasn't as yet really stood the test of time, so hopefully, there won't be any problems. :oops:

Slykitty65 likes this.
  19. Slykitty65

Slykitty65 Active Member

Hi Greg and Dragon. I did try cleaning it gently with the Q-tips slightly damp (no beads of distilled water) and got some of the tiny fuzz, dust, and dirt off. But, will try the saliva way and see if I can get more fuzz off or what looks like cotton ball threads.
    I unscrewed the back clips, but there was no way to get it out of the frame. It's like the panel was sealed to the frame in spots, or varnished with whatever dark substance was washed across the panels backing. I did not want to disturb its placement or pull any of the paint from it. There are a few tiny spots along the frame edge where you can see what looks like white gesso. I took a few pics of the paintbrush or someone's hair that is adhered underneath the paint I found while cleaning. Plus the chip turned out to be cotton fuzz that came off but looks still like it was indented a bit from something falling on it maybe... IMG-5319_B.jpg IMG-5315.jpg IMG-5309.jpg IMG-5310.jpg IMG-5311.jpg IMG-5312.jpg

As for the signature, It is still under a rather dark pigment and is not the T. Korn signature that is found on the 14 paintings at an N.Y. Gallery listing I found. The signature is "Filkorn" and one photo I have used my graphics program to lighten the name signature for better viewing. There is a current auction listing for a Tibor Filkorn with the same signature as mine at this link
    https://picclick.co.uk/Very-Fine-Antique-Oil-PaintingTibor-Filkorn-223033313591.html
    The starting bid is at the low end with 50 watchers. The posted high, average, and low-end estimates range from $45,382.00, $8,119.00 average and this auction starting bid is $253. What in the world do I have? I think I need a curators opinion, there seem to be less of his works with the full signature such as mine from what I have found. Which way to go now? Maybe I better leave it alone and contact Christie's or Sotheby's?

cxgirl likes this.
  20. Slykitty65

Slykitty65 Active Member

Thank you! Helpful information that I will think about using, note my above message to Dragon and Greg! Everyone's been very helpful!

Draft saved Draft deleted